mischief
Newly Registered

potted miniature roses question

The little plastic tag reads "Sunny Kordana".

My husband bought this little potted miniature plant about a week ago and it's already in sad shape. I live in Ontario, Canada so it's being kept indoors, in the sunniest part of my home. I'm not a green thumb by any stretch but I do have several very healthy violets and Christmas cacti so I think I can swing the roses with some guidance.

Thank you for any and all hints, tips and advice you've got.

~Jackie

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hello Mischief! Welcome to the forum!

The miniature rose you have, "Sunny Kordana" is also known as KORlinik and was bred in Germany by W. Kordes and Sons, the breeders of the popular Kordesii roses.
It has deep golden yellow 2 inch blooms that bloom repeatedly.

I am not sure what you are meaning by "sad shape", so I am going to make some assumptions, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Your rose probably came in a small plastic pot, enclosed in a plastic sleeve of some sort.
When those roses are sent to the stores to be sold, especially at this time of year, they have been grown in a greenhouse at optimal conditions, and forced (by temperature, lighting and fertizing) to produce quickly what you see in the store.
When you take it home, it doesn't get all of that, and so it goes into a sort of shock or dormancy. Not to worry! :shock:
Take your rose out of the plastic sleeve if you have not already done so. You will probably find that it is rootbound in it's pot, so I would suggest potting it in a larger pot with good drainage, in good quality potting soil. While you are doing this, keep your eyes out for any bugs (aphids, spider mites, etc). If they are present, give the rose a spray with insecticidal soap once a week for a few weeks.

Water the plant well, but don't let it sit in soggy soil, let it dry a little between waterings. I would also suggest watering it with some "Rose Tea" (the recipe is in the Organic Rose Care Thread). You would only need a small amount, so instead of alfalfa pellets, go to your pet food store, and ask for small animal food made of alfalfa (it's the same.).

Now I would let it rest for a week or so, and then prune it of all the twiggy growth that have lost leaves, and any dead flowers, leaves etc.
Many rosarians simply use hedge clippers to trim off the top of the bush at a foot above the soil, and then prune any remaining twigs needing attention.
Roses, whether inside or out, require lots of sun. Put your potted rose in the sunniest window you have. 8)

This should help you get started. If you have any questions, or if I have assumed the incorrect situation, please feel free to return with any questions or just to chat! :wink:

Val

mischief
Newly Registered

Thank you so very much!

I read your reply promptly and have been taking your advice. I did do a fair bit of searching on the internet and didn't find much. Your assumptions were exactly right - I should have used something other than "sad shape" but in 5 short days it went from bright to brown and I was worried I'd already killed it!

I am going to repot it this afternoon when my kids nap. I'm so looking forward to the next few weeks and am hoping to watch this pretty little plant flourish.

Again, I thank you so much for your help - I didn't know what to do!!

All the best regards,

~Jackie

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Mischief! You are most welcome, that's why we're here. I hope that it does well for you. Again, make sure that it doesn't sit in soggy soil - it will just sit and rot. Otherwise I think you are set to go!

I deleted your double post for you, so not to worry.
Feel free to stop in any time if you have a question or just want to chat! :wink:

Val

mischief
Newly Registered

Hello again,

My beautiful little yellow rose plant is probably twice the size it was the last time I was here. I've been taking your advice and the little guy is just flourishing! This morning when I watered it, I counted 5 flowers still tight in the bud. I'm so proud.

So my question, when I was watering it I also noticed something that looked like mold on a few of the leaves. Upon closer inspection, I realize there are tiny bug, mites maybe?, on some of the leaves. Is there a way to get rid of tehm?

Thank you again! I'll post a link to a picture soon - you'll be surprised at how big it is. Reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors... :)

Jackie

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Mischief! I am so glad to hear your rose is doing so well! With all your loving care it couldn't help but pick up it's feet! :D
As you haven't given me a color of what you are seeing on the leaves, I cannot tell you exactly what you are seeing on your leaves. However, give the whole bush a spray with insecticidal soap, as per the directions on the bottle. You will have to do this more than once as there will probably be eggs as well that will hatch later.
If this does not get them, then give the rose a spray every week or so with neem oil as per the directions on the container.
You can find both of these at your garden centre. It's best to get on top of them right away, before they have taken over your plant and possibly kill it, and also possibly spreading to other plants in your home.
This should do the trick!

Let me know how you make out. I am glad that you are seeing results and your rose is flourishing otherwise.
Good Luck, and keep in touch! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Congrats on the return to health, Mischief!

I'd concur with Val's advice...

Scott

mischief
Newly Registered

This forum is wonderful! I really wish I had something to add other than a dozen questions, but please know that I'm grateful for your thoughts and advice. I've never owned a little rose bush before, only ever received them in arrangements. Without you caring people, it would've died months ago!

To answer your question, the leaves have a white mold looking growth on them. Not all the leaves, probably 1/4, maybe less even.

I've sprayed it well, first application only as yet and I can tell the little bugs (spiders, aphids, whatever they are) aren't moving. I'm planning on spraying again in a few days as per the instructions.

In the meantime, should I wipe the dead bugs and webs from the leaves?

May karma work well in your favour, you deserve it!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like powdery mildew; if you are noy yet using neem, you should; this will handle all of the above...

mischief
Newly Registered

I used insectide soap spray - neem is something else entirely?

Thanks again.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yes, and it's our full spectrum earth friendly usual prescription as it is a miticide/insecticide/fungicide (good for what ails ya). Try it!

HG

mgrey
Newly Registered

I read this thread with interest because I too have a potted Kordana yellow minature rose bush. With a a few days of purchasing it, the roses dropped. I repotted the bush and it seems to perk up a bit.

It is in direct sunlight for about 3 hours a day. I water it but don't let it get completely bone dry. It is not sitting in water.

It's been about three weeks since I repotted it. Leaves have been continually drying up and dropping. Sometimes the leaves fall off without drying up.

The trunk feels strong and healthy. There is a very, very little bit of new growth. However, leaves continue to fall off. The plant isn't a bush anymore -- more like some branches with some leaves.

What do you think is happening and what should I do?

Thanks,
- Maurene

Return to “Rose Forum”