kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Moss on Tree Roses

My Wife Sharon got for me a double decker rose for christmas. It just arrived in a few weeks back. Anyway the point of the posting was that J&P (Jackson & Perkins) send two packages of moss to put around the crown a the top and the middle of the tree rose.

I hadn't heard about putting wet moss around the crown of the plant before? Has anyone else heard about this?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Kevin! I'm not sure why they would do that unless they are worried about the crown drying out. They should have sent instructions with it. I have never heard of it, but am trying to find out for you, so I will get back to you when I have an answer. You've got me curious too! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Makes three of us. I'll see if I can corner a J&P rep tomorrow at the show...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Kevin, I tried to find any explanation for this and couldn't, so I e-mailed J&P. The response I got was not very satisfactory as it does not explain why this practice is done, so I have e-mailed this woman again, asking for more detail.
What she did tell me was:
"The two bags of moss are for you to use with your tree rose. Please take the moss out of the bag carefully, wet the moss, and place it loosely around the grafting points of the rose, at the top and the middle. Place the bag that the moss came in over the moss and canes to create a green house effect."
Again, I suspect it is to keep your graft moist so it doesn't dry out. But they should be clarifying that.
I will let you know when I receive any further information! :wink:

Val

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Kevin! I have just heard back from J&P and they say that the moss and plastic is put there to keep the crown moist like a greenhouse, helping the shoots come faster. You'll have to let us know if it does!! You can be the tester for double decker rose trees! 8) Let me know if you have any other questions. :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”