tjsker
Newly Registered

Need help with rose problem

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the problem I had with a rose bush. It had a wonderful first bloom this season, but then I noticed that the limbs were starting to all fall down. When I looked at the plant closer I noticed that all the limbs were black at the base of the plant but no higher. I removed the whole plant yesterday and threw it away.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

I need to know if I can replant in the same spot, and if I do should I remove the old soil and use new? Or, should I just leave the spot empty and replant next year?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't have any direct experience with the disease, but it sounds like it's some kind of crown rot. My guess is that it's caused by a fungus. I don't really know whether removing the soil would do any good or not. If it were I, I would either leave the spot empty, or as a temporary fill-in, plant some flower or shrub that was totally unrelated to roses. I would wait at least a couple of years before trying another rose in the location.

I honestly don't know, though. Perhaps there is some way that I'm unaware of by which the soil could be disinfected. Fungal diseases are spread by spores, and they can easily be dispersed over a wide area.

I hope someone who actually has hands-on experience with this disease posts, as I would like to learn the answer. :)

Return to “Rose Forum”