jamib
Newly Registered

Long Neglected Roses

Hello,

I recently moved into a house with four rose bushes. I don't know anything about roses, but after some research I believe they are tea roses. They are in a very sunny location. In early fall each bush put out a couple of very small roses. I don't think the plants have been cared for in three or four years. They have redish colored balls on them where I think they have had blooms. I'm in zone 6 a or b, and we are having unseasonable warm weather. However I'm assuming it will get cold again before spring truly arrives. Should I prune the bushes now, even though its January? Should I fertilze them so they will be strong when spring arrives? Any advice would be fabulous.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Jami,

Fertilizing and pruning are not great ideas right now. If none of the canes are too long (rubbing or damaging each other in winds), I'd leave them. Fertilizing might trigger growth during one of these "heat waves" we keep having...

Anything to add Val?

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No - you about covered it Scott. Thanks.

Really not a good time to be doing anything that might break those roses out of dormancy and want to start growing and blooming again. It's a little early yet. I am going to posting an article in this forum over the next couple of weeks about spring rose care, so watch for it and it should answer most of your questions.

If they are in a sunny location, that is perfect as roses need at least 6-8 hours of straight sun per day. The fact that you mention small blooms says to me that the bushes are running a little low on nutrients.
The little red "balls" hanging on them are the rose hips. If you break one of these open, you will see seeds in side.

In the meantime, you could read the other threads at the top of this forum called "Organic Rose Care" and "Winter Protection for roses". These will give a bit of insight into what you need to be doing later in the year.

Glad to hear from you, and be sure to come back again with any other questions you may have. :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Val...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Never a problem at all! :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”