dina

Dark red leaves on roses

Hi,
I had problems with black spots which I solved by removing infected leaves as well as pruning . Now apeared plenty of new leaves (looking healthy) but they are all dark red,almost black! I wonder why? Could it be due to the warm weather conditions ?Not too warm though since I live in the UK.
Thanks for you advice.

Dina

Wahrheit

dina wrote:Hi,
I had problems with black spots which I solved by removing infected leaves as well as pruning . Now apeared plenty of new leaves (looking healthy) but they are all dark red,almost black! I wonder why? Could it be due to the warm weather conditions ?Not too warm though since I live in the UK.
Thanks for you advice.

Dina
Perhaps that red growth is normal for that particular cultivar, what is the name of your rose?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Wahrheit wrote:
dina wrote:Hi,
Thanks for you advice.

Dina
Perhaps that red growth is normal for that particular cultivar, what is the name of your rose?
Dina,

I'm with Wahrheit. It sounds like you have nice healthy new growth. My 'Mr. Lincoln' gets a deep red new growth. 8)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like "infant" rose leaves which haven't begun photosynthesis yet. There was a similar discussion earlier this year, with a very happy ending:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12543

Please let us know your happy ending, too: beautiful blooms, strong branches, glossy leaves... :)

(Can you tell that the rust / powdery mildew / black spot got ahead of me? I haven't put neem on my roses YET ... :x Just got a good look at 'em today. :oops: )

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Rose Forum”