Wahrheit

Rose Rosette Disease (RRD)

Anyone hear of anything new in attempting to eradicate rose rosette?

I've been plagued with this for the past three years, and so far the only worthwhile thing to do is just dig up the plant and dispose of it in the garbage. The problem of course is that so far I've had to dispose of at least twenty rose bushes. The disease seems to effect just about every kind of rose that I have, including own root and grafted. It's been on climbers, rugosas, hybrid teas, etc. I used to just cut away the infected canes, but now I just dig up the bush and throw it away. I've replaced some of those with Knockout roses, and for now, there's been no problems, but from what I've seen, it seems no particular type of rose bush is immune. Luckily, two of my ancient roses, "r.officianalis" and "Celsiana" have not been effected, ...*yet*...but they're only once bloomers.

I've been looking at various articles about RRD for some time now, but it appears that there still is no cure. If there isn't a cure pretty soon, I fear that I'll just have to abandon rose gardening permanently, and that's not an easy decision to come to after rose gardening for nearly forty years. If anybody has some "new" advice, or experience to share, I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wo wohnen Sie, Wahrheit?

We had a brief and sad discussion re. RRD last year here at THG:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8433

There are several links in that thread to outside sources, but I can't remember right off the bat how recent the information in those links is.

Best wishes; I hope your roses pull through.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Wahrheit

cynthia_h wrote:Wo wohnen Sie, Wahrheit?
:lol: I live in Hampton Roads, Virginia (East Coast)

cynthia_h wrote: had a brief and sad discussion re. RRD last year here at THG:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8433

There are several links in that thread to outside sources, but I can't remember right off the bat how recent the information in those links is.

Best wishes; I hope your roses pull through.
Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9[/quote]

yes, I did do a search here, before posting, but unfortunately it looks like my rose garden is doomed. Unless there's some new treatment that I've not heard about, I may have to replace each infected rose with an Encore Azalea (or Lorapetalum, or something...) each time I dig one up.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

They have not identified a pathogen yet, but expect it's viral...

[url]https://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-620/450-620.html[/url]

They do seem certain that eriophyid mites are the vector, and offer some hope that controlling the mites is a possible control, but the recommendation here is fraught with disclaimers...

Are you chemical or organic culture, Wahrheit? Organic culture can sometimes help control pathogens that are rampant through biological counterculture and predation... worth a try...

HG

Wahrheit

The Helpful Gardener wrote:They have not identified a pathogen yet, but expect it's viral...

[url]https://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-620/450-620.html[/url]

They do seem certain that eriophyid mites are the vector, and offer some hope that controlling the mites is a possible control, but the recommendation here is fraught with disclaimers...

Are you chemical or organic culture, Wahrheit? Organic culture can sometimes help control pathogens that are rampant through biological counterculture and predation... worth a try...

HG
I have previously seen that article you supplied via your link, and sadly it appears not much has changed since the article was published in 2002. I guess I can only hope that someday research will come up with a cure.

For at least the past five years or so, I have not used chemical control for my roses. Although I have used Soap Shield® to control blackspot and p.mildew. On rare occasion I have used plant pyrethins for insect control, but have mainly relied on Ladybugs, so I guess I fall more closer into the "organic culture" category.

Rose cultivars that I have lost to the disease so far are Mdme Carriere, Nearly Wild, Flutterbye, Mozart, Darlowe's Enigma, R.Rugosa, Hansa, Outta The Blue,Tiffany, The Fairy, Therese Bugnet, Rosarie Del L'hay, Pebble Beach, Double delight, John Davis and Cuthbert Grant, and probably one or two more that I'm forgetting.

As I mentioned previously, so far ALL my Knockout roses grown in close proximity to the above mentioned casualties, have remained disease free. If science can ever eradicate this disease, I swear I'll never again complain about powdery mildew, blackspot, or Japanese Beetles! :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Pretty wide array; while I do see a tendency toward the rugosas, it seems we've touched most classes of rose; hybrid tea, shrubs, Gallicas... my sympsthies for the casulties and those they leave behind...

We are our own worst enemies in importing disease and pestilence; gardeners have supplied most of the plant pathogens we deal with today in the garden. The fact that this was imported on multiflora rose is an extra kick in the teeth, as multiflora is a horrible invasive; I'd daresay in the top three "most unwanted" in Connecticut...

We need to temper our desire for new plants with a healthy respect for our environs. All imported plants should have a serious quarantine before they are allowed in this country, and the AgStation at Beltsville needs real back-up to enforce it...no more Phytophtera ramorum or RRD or Dutch Elm disease, or chesnut blight or wooly adelgid or any of the hundreds of other problems we import...

HG

Return to “Rose Forum”