ShadowLight

New color of rose growing from rose plant?

Hey all,

A year to the day ago I moved in to my new house. It had a couple of rose bushes. One never bloomed. But the other has been fantastic, growing like crazy. Smaller bright pink blooms and usually several to the branch.

This year it has stems growing out from under it with different kinds of leaves and a deep maroon flower. This wasn't there last year.

Where did this come from? What's going on? I really like it, but curious about what happened.

These are quick pics from my phone:

[img]https://shadowlight.demand-performance.com/images/rosepink.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://shadowlight.demand-performance.com/images/rosecrimson.jpeg[/img]

Wahrheit

ShadowLight wrote:Hey all,

A year to the day ago I moved in to my new house. It had a couple of rose bushes. One never bloomed. But the other has been fantastic, growing like crazy. Smaller bright pink blooms and usually several to the branch.

This year it has stems growing out from under it with different kinds of leaves and a deep maroon flower. This wasn't there last year.

Where did this come from? What's going on? I really like it, but curious about what happened.
it appears that the understock/rootstock of your rose is sending up shoots. That rootstock rose is called "Dr. Huey", it is a once bloomer, but if you don't remove it at the root level, it will take over your plant, and your pink flowers will cease to exist.
It may send out shoots again in the future, but you should make sure to remove them.

Don't worry though, this is a common occurance and shouldn't pose a big problem if promptly taken care of.

ShadowLight

Thanks I appreciate it! What causes this? Should I wait until pruning time or do it now?

Wahrheit

ShadowLight wrote:Thanks I appreciate it! What causes this? Should I wait until pruning time or do it now?
Glad to help!

Most roses sold in the USA are grafted onto Dr. Huey rootstock. This understock has proven to be very reliable for strong root development. The bad thing about grafting is that sucker growth such as indicated here, are always a possibility.
In recent years, many rose growers have been offering rose cultivars that are growing on their own roots, thus eliminating the possibility of any understock growth.

Personally, I prefer roses growing on their own roots, and most of my roses are of this type. The down side of "own root" roses is they tend to be smaller in size when you buy them, and they take about 3 years to achieve optimum growth size, and rose bloom productivity, whereas the grafted ones are usually off to a good start the first year, or so.

I would definitely cut these sucker shoots off as soon as you can. Completely remove those canes, and if you look, they are growing from underneath the crown where the graft was done. You will probably have to carefully pull away the dirt around the base of the plant when you do this, to make sure you get it all.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nice call warheit, that surely is 'Dr. Huey'...

The rest of the info is just as good... :D

HG

Return to “Rose Forum”