kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Double Decker Tree Roses

I got an email from J&P announcing their new double decker tree roses, They are quiet a site to see. Here is the link to their homepage.

https://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=201&cgrfnbr=173&header_sel=

Something that might look good in the yard next year! I haven't seen this anywhere else, Has anyone?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I hadn't seen these yet Kevin! They certainly are pretty. The write up on them doesn't tell you though whether it has an extra graft, or what. Does this mean you then have to protect yet another bud union on your tree for winter months? Something to think about, whether it is worth more care.
It's not something that would even grow and survive up here. I wish I could look at those types. You're lucky you can! 8)
Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Just chatted with our rose buyer for the nursery and he laughed when I asked about another graft and said "Try four more grafts! Root to tree, tree to rose, rose to tree, and tree to rose." Sounds like you need to do the Minnesota tip to get this one through a winter at even my zone, let alone where Val lives...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

That sounds like a pretty dicey one to me! Whoa that's alot of grafts! :roll: I wouldn't want to try to bring that through a winter. It might be something you could put in a pot, and then winter in your garage or something though. :wink:
Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That is one way to do it, fer sure. The Minnesota tip is basically burying the whole plant, and that would work too...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Although it's alot more work in my mind. If you are interested in reading about this method, Kevin, it is covered in my third article in the Winter Protection for Roses thread in Care for Roses Forum. Have to weigh the pros and cons and see if you are prepared for the attention it needs. They are very pretty! :wink:
Val

Return to “Rose Forum”