Sharon Marie

Re - furbished the rose garden

After 6.5 hours working on the side of the house (where the roses are) This is what I accomplished:
I moved all the landscaping bricks.
I took away the weed barrier (ugh..)
I worked the soil about 6-7" deep
Pruned all the dead wood off of the bushes.
Dug 2 dead bushes up.
It doesn't look like the same area!
Anyhow, my question is this:
Now that I have worked the soil, what type of soil additive should I use?
Only fertilizer for roses? Only compost? Both? I have purchased 3 more bushes to replace the two dying ones. The third I am going to plant in a special area of my flower garden.
Any advise?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Have you read the article on our home page at www.helpfulgardener.com re. rose care? There are several good links in that article (in addition to the info in the article itself) on rose care.

Take some well-earned time after all that :shock: work today and read up on how to give roses a good start. You've definitely gone some distance down the right road today! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Sharon Marie

Yes, I have read that article. I am slightly worried though about something. I bought the roses and they already have small red buds on them. Should I be concerned?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

When "infant" rosebuds and rose leaves first emerge from the branches/twigs, they do have the red coloring. They're so new that they haven't yet begun the process of photosynthesis.

After the leaves fully emerge, they'll begin photosynthesizing and will turn green, like you're used to seeing. :)

The bud covers will turn green, get larger, and then, one day soon, you'll notice that the bud appears to be opening. Get ready! It doesn't take too long for it to open up into the new flower. And then the bees will find it and your rose will be very popular and a participant in your own ecosystem.

Sounds wonderful from here! :D

Cynthia

Sharon Marie

you are awesome! Thank you so much!

Sharon Marie

It seems as if the roses have had much benefit from the compost I worked into the soil. They are all bushy now! :)

Return to “Rose Forum”