grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

JPIXI Bought New Roses

I am bringing this over from PM's I received from JPIXI in France.
I thought we should all share her exciting purchase! 8)
VAL

Pixi wrote:
I bought about 30 roses at very good prices, average price of 8.5usd for Hybrid Tea, and 13usd for climbing. On top of all, they give me a 20% discount.

I got to tell you more about my purchases VAL, I spent 3days in this fantastic village Doué la Fontaine, there are so many rose farms there, with very kind and helpful rose farmers.

Oh yes VAL, my new roses seem to be too eager to see the world, there are many new shoots growing just after 2days of grounding them, it is ok?

My response:
I wish I could have been there with you when you were buying your roses and seeing the rose farms. I envy you! It sounds like heaven to me!!!

Pixi, before I advise you on whether it is good for new growth to be happening on your roses, I need a little bit of information about the climate there. What is the weather like now? When is fall? How cold does winter get? Have you planted all 30 roses already? How did you plant them, in one main bed, or spread around?
I'm just so excited for you!
When you have more time, you will have to tell me what varieties of roses you got.
Appréciez vos nouveaux bébés pour moi aussi, mon ami!
Pixi's response:
Fall here isnt that cold but slightly windy normally. Fall starts 22sept at average temperature of 15 to 20 degrees celcius. Rarely lower than 11degree celcius unless near winter in later Nov. with about 7 degree ceclius in average.

France winter wont be that cold until late Jan, and it wont last more than 2 weeks with -5 degree in worst case.

I am too excited with my new plants that I nearly planted half the population I bought. I have a 300meter square garden non-occupied by the bush with ancien roses there. I planted a strand of 6 SUPERSTAR climber, 2 Ena Harkness climber, 2 Marie claire climbers, and 2 each of Pullman oriental express, Isabelle autissier and Gemini.

I really have no idea why this new plant have that much of new shoots. I am a little worried it is not a good sign...
Dimanche Heureux Pixi!

I wouldn't worry too much about signs of new growth on your newly planted roses. Because you have just put them into their new home and they are stretching their legs, they will grow a bit. It is not that cold yet to harm them.
I looked your roses up, you sure got some pretty obscure ones! You seem to be able to pick the hidden ones out, don't you?!
So here they are, it's a long one!

"Gemini" - There are actually two Gemini's, but I believe you probably have the Hybrid Tea. The other is a polyantha, so correct me if I have the wrong one. The hybrid tea "Gemini" is also known as "JACnepal", and was bred in the USA in 1999 by a breeder named Dr. Keith W. Zary. It was then introduced by Bear Creek Gardens, and then further by Jackson and Perkins.
It's parentage is "Anne Morrow Lindbergh" X "New Year", and there are only three roses in it's bloodline.
The flowers are approximately 4", large and double with 30 petals. They have a creamy white centre, with a hint of yellow on the petal backs, and dusty ping on the petal edges. It is a repeat bloomer.
The foliage is dark glossy green, and the stems are sturdy and tall, with a few prickles. It grows to about 5.7 feet and spreads about 4 feet.
It is hardy for Zone 6.
It has won awards for All American Rose Society Gold Medal 2000, American Rose Society Princess of Show 2000, American Rose Sociey King of Show 2001.

"Pullman Orient Express" is a hybrid tea with rambler tendencies. It is also known as "Baipeace" and "Love and Peace". It was bred in the USA by Jerry Twomey and Ping Lim in 2001 and then introduced in the US in 2002 by Bailey Nurseries, and in France in 2002 by Meilland.
It's parentage is "seedling" X "Peace" and it has 47 roses in its bloodline.
"Orient Express" has a mild scent, and it's flowers are large double, with 26 to 40 petals. It is a yellow-pink blend and a repeat bloomer.
It's height is about 5 feet, and is hardy to zone 7.
It was made the All American Rose Selection in 2002.

"Ena Harkness Climber" is a sport of the hybrid tea "Ena Harkness" and has most of it's parents traits. It was bred by Murrell of Gurteen and Ritson in Britain in 1954.
It's parent, "Ena Harkness" had parentage of "Crimson Glory" X "Southport", and had 59 roses in it's bloodline.
It has a medium sweet, damask scent, with large 5" double blooms with 30 petals. It is crimson in color, blooms in one big flush and then intermittently.
It reaches a height of about 10 feet, and is hardy for Zone 6.
It's only known weakness is a very weak flower stalk.
It's parent, "Ena Harkness" has won the National Rose Society Gold Medal in 1945, and the Portland Gold Medal in 1955.

"Superstar Climber" is also a sport of it's parent hybrid tea, "Superstar". It is also known as "TANorstar", "TANgosar", and in North America is very well known as "Tropicana".
"Superstar Climber" was bred by Boerner in the USA in 1971, and introduced by Tan-Tantou.
Although it is a sport from it's parent Hybrid Tea "Superstar", the parentage of the Hybrid Tea is "Mme A. Meilland" ("Peace") X "Alpen Gluhen" and there are 111 roses is it's bloodline. The climber has an American Rose Society Rating of 7.9.
It has a strong, sweet, fruity scent, with large, double flowers of 30 to 35 petals. It is geranium red, and blooms copiously at first and then intermittently.
The leaves are large, dark green, glossy and leathery, and the stems have large prickles.
It grows to a height of about 13 feet and is hardy to zone 6. It is known to be susceptible to mildew.
"Superstar" hybrid tea, has won the National Rose Society - Presidential International Trophy in 1960, National Rose Society Gold Medal in 1961, The American Rose Society Gold Medal in 1967, and the All American Rose Socity award in 1963. It also wond the Bagatelle Paris Gold Medal in 1960.

"Marie Claire Climber" is very difficult to find any thing about. I was able to find some information about the hybrid tea which I will give you, and I will continue to look for the climber. The hybrid tea was bred in France in 1938 by Meilland International. It's parentage for the seed was "Charles P. Kilham" X "Duquesa de Penaranda", and the parentage for the pollen was "Charles P. Kilham" X "Margaret McGredy".
It has 36 roses in it's bloodline.
It's flower is an orange-red blend.

"Isabelle Autissier"was also difficult to locate any information on. It is a shrub rose, bred in 1999 in France by Michel Adam.
It has a mild, fruity scent, with double blooms that bloom continually.
The flowers have a yellow heart, then light pink petals, with the outer petals being carmine.
It's foliage is bronze in color when young.
It will grow to about 5-6 feet, and is hardy to Zone 7.
"Isabelle Autissier" won the Pink 2000 Award for the Association of Journalists of Garden and Horticulture.

I hope this gives you a little bit of insight into some of your new roses. Let me know what the others are, and I will research them for you as well. I would love to see a picture of your rose garden when you have got it all done.

Prenez soin de vous-même, de Pixi, et de la plantation heureuse! :wink:
VAL

JPIXI

Hiya VAL,

I have another 5 species that I have not planted yet. One of them is called Ghislaine de Féligonde. For the rest I have to note their name when I go to the celler again, keep them there to wait for free moment to plant them.

VAL, I have heard a lot about fish emulsion, I wonder how can I make this? I have a lot of scollope waste as this is the season, I wonder are they useful to roses? If they are, can you roughtly tell me what I should do?

I am preparing the 2 spray formulas that I used on my roses, and going to post it latest by tomorrow under orangic care in rose forum. Hope you guys can advise later.

Latestly, if you guys are interested to see how the roses I bought are like, you can visit this website to have an idea; They have nearly all I have bought.

https://valed.free.fr/index%20des%20varietes/Untitled-21.htm#s

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Pixi!
I will get back to you with information on Ghislaine de Feligonde later.
Meanwhile, here is a recipe for fish emulsion. There are several recipes that are more involved than this, but this one is the simplest.

Fish Emulsion

Place the fish remains into a five gallon pail. Tthen fill the pail about 3/4 full with water.
Stir the contents of the bucket quite well and allow it to stand for a day or two, stirring it when you have a chance to do so. Make sure you place the pail in a spot that animals won't bother it.
After a day or two has passed, carefully strain out the remaining scraps. You can do this by placing a piece of cheesecloth over the top of the pail, and tie it securely to the pail. Use the now-smelly water on your plants as you would any other fertilizer.

Thanks for putting your two sprays on the Organic Rose Care thread for others to share. You have had such success with them, that it would be great to try them!

I haven't had a chance to look at the site you have posted, but I will when I get a moment later today.

Take care and have a lovely day! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That fish emulsion is a great foliage feed as it also acts as a biological counter-culture...(begone fungii! 8) )

Scott

JPIXI

Hiya Guys,

I wonder is there a restriction on the season to use fish emulsion? For example, after september when we should not fertilzer the rose, we should not use fish emulsion unil next spring? There is an absolute stop to every supply of goodies for roses after fall?

I have several battery operated air pumps, I will drop on to the fish emulsion pail to keep the oxygen building up, I believe it works the same way as to stir it?

Cheers,
Pixi

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Absolutely correct JPIXI. It does both jobs, stirring (for even culture) and aeration (to make sure good guys (aerobic organisms) and not badguys (anaerobic organisms) get cultured...

And yes, now is time to STOP feeding plants and let them wind down...you could fall fertilize with bone meal or other foods aimed at the roots, but best to just leave well enough alone...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks Scott!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

DE nada 8)

Return to “Rose Forum”