cissy jackson

a new rose garden

Hello Everyone,

I am about to start a rose garden. I got carried away and have 16 roses coming from a catalog order, also a weeping tree rose. if that wasn't enough I seen 6 mini roses at lowes and you got it! They are now sitting here waiting for me to do something with them. I have been told not to plant till mid May when frost was over.

my question is this, if anyone would like to give me any tips on this new bed I would love to recieve it. :D

There is one thing that I remember reading and that is the hole should be 2 ft. deep and 2 ft. wide. is this true? why so deep? that will be a lot of digging.

Hope everyone has a nice growing spring. cissy

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at www.rose.org for some basic needs of roses. Remember that these roses will GROW and get much larger than they are right now *and* that you'll need to walk between them, somehow, to prune them every year.

Allow for that space this year, when they go into the ground. Things will look a little sparse, but will fill in by 2 or 3 years from now.

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

And, of course (!), read the article on rose care on the homepage of this very site:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/rose/2003/new-rose.html

It's a great introduction to the basics of planting new roses.

Cynthia

cissy jackson

Thank you Cynthia for your reply. I will go to that site now and read up on things. the space we have for the rose garden I believe is big enough but will put the plants down first and see what we have and take note on space for growth. I do apperciate your comback on this it was very nice of you. Hope you enjoy your spring and happy gardening. cissy

cissy jackson

I have been reading a lot on several different things and have it all jumbled up in my head. Should I be starting a calendar this yr. as to what is going on with weather and such so I will have it for next yr.? I think I read that somewhere but can't find it now. thanks again Cissy

Sharon Marie

I just bought three new rose bushes to plant in place of the ones that didn't make it last year. The previous owner of our home has planted 9 rose bushes along the whole side of our newly purchased home. How hard are rose bushes to dig up? What should I do to the soil after I did the dead bushes up? Should I mix in compost? I'm not sure what to do. I have considered raising the rose bed, since many of the tops of the existing bushes (which I'm hoping will make it) are above the ground. It gets very cold sometimes here in the winter, and I want to make sure that I can keep the new bushes (and the old ones) happy and healthy. I am getting a new memory card for my camera, so I will be posting pictures soon of my works. :) I'm a novice gardener (we have a flower garden in the back as well) I am very excited about this and I've been doing LOADs of research on the web. Thanks for all the input! This forum has been a great source for me in reading all through the previous threads.

Return to “Rose Forum”