russelln114

tree rose starting to leaf out in winter

Hello. I have two tree roses in large pots. I live in the north (Pennsylvania). The zone is 5b I beleive. This winter I brought the roses in after they became dormant I believe sometime in December. I have been keeping them in a unheated room that has a hard time reaching 40 degrees. It is now February and they are starting to grow. I don't know what to do. Should I bring them into the heat and let them grow? I can't cut them off because every bud seems like its starting to open. They have been dormant for a total of 2 1/2 to three months. Is that enough? Any help would be great. Thanks.

pd

Any hard frosts will be detrimental to the buds at this stage so I think all you can do is to keep them as cold as possible indoors until after the frosts. They will however need good light for growth to develop normally.

Obviously I have no experience of your climate but I think I would have left them outdoors, un-pruned and in a sheltered spot. I would also have covered them with garden fleece to reduce die back which is likely during sever frosts. Then in spring I would prune back as you would normally do with standard roses. I'm assuming what you call tree roses we here in the UK call half and full standard roses.

Return to “Rose Forum”