Grey
Greener Thumb

Why are my Chihuly's leaves pale?

Here's my Chihuly. My leaves are not as pretty as JPIXI's - what am I missing? Or do Chihuly leaves not get so dark?

[img]https://server2.uploadit.org/files/greyghost-chihulyA.jpg[/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Grey! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I have had my two little nieces staying with us (8 and 3) for the last five days so as you can imagine, I haven't had much time for anything else!!! We sure had a ball though!
Anyway, when rosebushes are pale throughout the whole bush, there are generally only two causes. One being the PH level too acidic. It should be around 6.2 to 6.8 for roses to be at their best. The PH level can be modified by adding acidic organic matter like peat moss, ground pine bark, or oak leaf mold, or if you really have to, sulfur.
If the PH level is too acidic, the soil can be "sweetened" by adding dolomitic limestone.

The other cause for an entire rose bush to have pale foliage is good old nitrogen! The solution of course, for this is back to manure and compost teas, or liquid fish fertilizer. The recipes for manure and compost tea are in the organic rose care thread of the Rose forum.

I suspect that this is why you are seeing such dark lush growth on Pixi's leaves, as I know that she has faithfully been using the compost tea recipe, as well as epsom salt for a couple of months now. She also sprays her plants with the tea, and also diluted milk.

Hope all of this helps Grey, and again, sorry I was so delayed! :wink:
VAL

JPIXI

Hi guys,

Indeed I spray my roses every alternate day to strengthen them, as they have been neglected for years unattended. I enjoy and had been addicted to spray them with tea now.

Sorry Guys, I have forgotten to tell you that I have 2 sets of spray.

First set is preventive; Milk, Epsom salt, Bicarbonate, and body lotion. (Use once a week)

Second set: Nutrient spray (alternate day)

I grin seaweed with algae found in my garden together with other compost in air pump for 2days normally.

VAL, I found a little tag "ZEPHIRINE DROUIN", its leaf looks rose to me, but there is no thorn at all. I make some searching on net but couldn’t find much information on this. There is no flower this year; I suppose it is still too weak to flower this summer. Any tips to strengthen this species?

Cheers,
Pixi

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hey Val - it's probably the Ph level then - I make sure everything gets plenty of nitrogen. Will take care of it! Thanks!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No problem Grey!! Good Luck! :wink:

Pixi - would you mind posting the recipes for your two sprays on the organic rose care thread under the Rose forum? I think alot of people would be interested in the regimen you have been using on your roses with such dramatic results! 8)

The tag you found is for "Zephirine Drouhin", which is another vintage climbing bourbon rose. It was the only rose bred by Bizot in France, in 1868, and he never revealed it's parentage. It has also been known by the names of "Charles Bonnet" and Thornless Rose". Although this a very old rose, it is still available for sale today.

It has large, loose double, 25-30 petal, cerise pink flowers, in clusters of 3-5. It is strongly fragrant. It is also good repeat bloomer.
It has been known to grow 10-15' tall and 6-8' around. It can be trained as a climber, or pruned as a shrub. The canes stand out because they are of a purplish color, and almost always thornless.

This rose has won the American Rose Society Dowager Rose Queen Award in 2000, and the American Rose Society Victorian Award from 1999 to 2001.

It's only downfall appears to be that it is prone to mildew, rust and blackspot.

My only suggestion for strengthening this rose is to continue giving it the loving care you have been giving your other roses, it appears to be working for you. I think you need to give this rose some good overall replenishment of nutrients. Give it a good mulching of manure, compost, leaf mould, give it some compost or manure tea, epsom salts, and liquid fertilizer, and it should begin to get stronger. When a rose is weak all around, it needs all of the basics, not just one little tweek here and there.

Maintenez votre contact merveilleux de rose de magie, et celui-ci trop s'épanouira! Ayez une grande nuit! :wink:
Val

(Translation for others: Keep up your wonderful magic rose touch, and this one too will flourish! Have a great night!)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey there Pixi!
I found a couple of more things about your "Zephrine Drouhin"!
Although it's parentage is unknown, because of it's qualities, it is thought to be a cross between a Boursault and a Hybrid Perpetual.
Also, it was named for the wife of a French amateur rose lover from Semur-en-Auxois on the Cote d'Or.

"Zephrine Drouhin" also has two sports (a mutation, caused by either an induced or spontaneous genetic change, which may produce shoots with different characteristics, or different color than the parent). "Kathleen Harrop", bred by Colin Dickson in Northern Ireland in 1919, has fewer petals and is a little less vigourous than "Zephrine Drouhin". It is medium pink with darker pink on the back of the petals.
The second sport is "Marthe"or "Martha" bred by Zeiner in France in 1912, which has fuller flowers than both "Zephrine Drouhin" and Kathleen Harrop". The petal backs reflect deeper tones of pink in the heart of the flower.

All of our roses have such histories, it's almost like burying myself in my other passion, geneology! It's so much fun!
Have a lovely day! :wink:
VAL

JPIXI

Thanks VAL for your enlightening details, impressive!

I am on business trip presently, I will post my spray regimens on organic gardening after my return. Perhaps, this regimen will be handy only for next early spring.

Going to rose some rose farm at end of my business trip, hope to discover more about rose then.

Bonne siorée mon cher ami

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Merci Pixi! The Organic Rose Care thread is one that will always be there, so I thought it would be good for your helpful recipes to be there for all to use when the new rose season is upon us!
Hope you enjoy your trip! You will have to share what you see at the rose farm.
Belle soirée à vous, mon bon ami! :wink:
VAL

Return to “Rose Forum”