kevinschoppe
Cool Member

HELP! Hurricane on the way!

I like NW of Houston, and we are forcasted to get strong winds and lots of rain. What Can I Do For My Poor Roses?

I like by the lake, and the lake is about 5 feet below normal levels due to a drought. If it lake floods it will spill over into about a quarter or more of the rose gardens. There will be a foot or two of standing water in the rose beds because of the proximity to the lake front edge. Should I consider transplanting them into my garage? My tree roses will be in direct velocity of the heavy winds. I have staked them well with about 2 stakes per rose on either side, should I stake 4 per rose to create a fort? My regular roses should be ok, in reguards to the wind. I may have a few snapped limbs of the plants, though.

Am I being too mellow dramatic? These roses are like my kids....

Thanks-
Kevin

Grey
Greener Thumb

I would deeply set four stakes around each rose. I say deeply because if it turns out those stakes aren't in the ground deep enough, they will become flying stake daggers! From there I'd wrap some twine around the stakes to offer support and reduce the number of branches that might snap.

As for the water - Val (Grandpasrose) is a better person to ask, in my experience a deep watering like that won't cause too much damage so long as the water recedes fairly quickly. Roses like water but they don't like wet feet.

If you think the water may go that high and not recede in a day or so, then maybe putting some roses back in pots for the time would be a good idea.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Kevin, I was thinking of you and your roses when I saw the news this morning and where the hurricane was headed :cry: .
I am assuming this lake is fresh water, and doesn't have any salt water source? If this is correct, than what Grey has told you is right, as long as the roses won't be standing in water for a long length of time (more than three days) I wouldn't move them. You may stress them more by moving them than the soaking would. If they are going to be sitting in water for quite some time, then I would consider moving them into pots, gently. Roses do not like to be moved so if you can avoid this, please do.

If this water has a salt source - get your roses the heck out of there!!!!!
If they sit in a lake of salty water, that then recedes and leaves a bunch of salt on your soil, they will surely die! :x
Also, I would stake all of my roses, not just the tree roses, with as many stakes as you have available to you - 4 at least to a rose, and very deeply into the ground, and then tied around the rose - don't actually tie it to the rose (if the stakes blow away, you don't want them to take your rose with them). Roses suffer from wind rock (loosening the roots below and often breaking them) if they blow around too much, so the more you can do to prevent this, the better.

I am not sure how tall your bushes are, but if some of them are small enough, I would even consider covering them with upended garbage bins, and such, and then stake those deeply into the ground - like a cocoon.

These are all just guesses on my part Kevin, as I have never experienced this, nor known anyone who has, but based on knowing what roses DON'T like, these things should help.

I wish there was more I could do to help Kevin - My prayers to the rose gods will be with you. Please let us know how you make out. Best of Luck and fingers crossed! :wink:
VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

I do not live by a salt lake, Fresh water... so that is good. The lake is about 4-5 feet down. It will take about 6-7 feet of water before it goes over the banks.

Most of my roses are new within a year old. They are about 2-3 feet tall and about 18 inches wide.

How far should I stake down on my tree roses? I don't want to damage the root system, but I don't want them to break the trunk of the plant like what happened with Diana. . (See previous post)

I guess I can always duck tape any damage that might occur with the plants and hope for the best. We are expected to get hurricane force winds where I am. We are about 70 miles from the coast.

I will be checking the board when I can until we loose the connection. I will keep in touch....

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Kevin! Sorry I didn't get right back to you - I will keep checking from now on so that I can answer right away.
You should stake your tree roses very deeply. Do not worry about damaging the roots. They have alot of root, and will just grow more. If you feel like you are hitting a root, move your stake over abit and try it again.

As far as your other roses, I have a couple of ideas, and I'll put it all out there, and you choose:
First, you could do as I suggest previously, and cover them with garbage cans staked deeply into the ground. That is the least work, and the least intrusive to the rose, but I don't know how well it would make it through.

I don't know how many roses you have, but if they are within a year old, and there aren't too many, I would be tempted to dig them up and pot them and put them in a basement or garage. Because they are so new, they won't have gotten too established yet, and should be able to handle be moved around, which roses don't usually like.

If you have a lot of roses, no pots and still want to dig them up and move them, consider laying a tarp or plastic down on the floor of the garage or basement, placing all of your roses as tightly together on this (this way their roots will protect each other), then giving them a slight bit of soil over top, and a spray of water. Then round the edges of the tarp up so that just the tops of your roses are poking out. Kind of like making a big pot out of the tarp.

The key to any moving you do is giving them water. If you give them water, there is less likelihood of shock.
I know that some of these things sound a little extreme or bazaar, but these are extreme times, and not ever having been through something like this, and never going to be, I can only give you my ideas, understanding what would harm the roses the most.

I know how you feel about your roses Kevin, I feel the same about mine - I don't even want to imagine how I would feel.

I hope this has given you some ideas. I will keep a watch on the board so that I don't take so long responding if you need help. Hang in there Kevin, and let us know as soon as you can how you are first, then the roses.

VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Well I have staked down what I could. Covered what I could.

People are getting crazy around here. The hurriane is going futher east than expected, but we are still forcast to have about 100mph winds here. All the gas stations are out of gas, stores are bare. Even walmart is closing tonight, the 24-hour store. People have been firing off shotgun blast close, I can hear them. I guess they are expecting looters or something. The local sporting goods store was out of buckshot, sooo.... hope for the best. I have a hunting rifle but I think we will be ok. The freeways are jammed. It takes about 4 hours to go a few miles. People are running out of gas on the highways, and just pulling over. I will keep you guys posted. I will post pictures later after the storm hits. We should start seeing rain and stuff tommrow.

Thanks for keeping us in Texas in your thoughts and Prayers-
Kevin

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Kevin, we are thinking of you down there. So you're going to stay put and wait it out, not leave like we're seeing alot on tv are doing? I am not sure how close you are although I got a map out last night to try and see where it would be in relation to you.
You've done all you can to protect everything, but remember, the most important thing is yourself and your loved ones.
Please let us know how you are, and our prayers and thoughts are with you. Take care.
VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

We are about 70 miles NNW of Galveston. We are staying. We thought about evacuating, but the roadways have been gridlocked & gasloine has been in short supply for several days. Both my wife & our cars have full tanks of gas so we will be good for the next week.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I ran out of stakes for the roses, so I used old mops, brooms, golf clubs, and even broken unbrellas as stakes to secure roses.

Hope remains, according to local tv and radio, the eye of the storm is heading up the coast to lousisana, but we will still get wind etc. My house is the first one of 4 built together. I live a condo with a utility easment beside me. When the winds blows directly off the lake it blows almost twice as hard, because the wind is being split (so it can go around the group of houses) when it hits my yard.

We are expecting one of Sharon's (my wife) former bidesmaids come to our house, she lives in a trailer in Houston. She has left eailer today and is in traffic.

Montgomery, Texas is a small town between Conroe & College Station. College Station is home to Texas A&M. My family will be safe, and I will keep in touch.

arkansasrose

God bless and keep you safe!

Grey
Greener Thumb

I know how you feel - we lived in FL until last year and had three of these storms go right over us.

If it starts getting scary, get in the bathroom or someplace with no windows and fairly solid walls. A few people whose houses got demolished around them managed to survive just by hunkering down in the bathroom and holding the door shut.

My thoughts and prayers are with you - I know all to well what you are feeling!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Kevin! You probably already have this information, but I copied it from the weather site for Montgomery for you.
Kevin, I have two sayings that I like to remember at times like these, and I'd like to pass them on to you for this time:
- "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and just hang on, it'll be over soon."
-"We have only to believe!"
Hope you're able to keep letting us know how you all are as long as you can. We'll be watching for your posts! Take care!
VAL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Includes the cities: Montgomery, Conroe, The Woodlands
Rest Of Tonight...Mostly clear in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Friday...Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...Then mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance in the afternoon. Breezy. Highs in the lower 90s. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night...Showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening... Then showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Tropical storm force winds. Some thunderstorms May be severe with heavy rainfall after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. North winds 35 to 45 mph with gusts to around 70 mph in the evening increasing to 45 to 55 mph with gusts to around 80 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 70 percent in the evening increasing to 100 percent after midnight.

Saturday...Showers and thunderstorms. Strong winds. Some thunderstorms May be severe with heavy rainfall. Highs in the mid 80s. North winds 40 to 50 mph with gusts to around 85 mph in the morning becoming northwest and Decreasing to 35 to 45 mph with gusts to around 70 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 100 percent.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening...Then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Windy. Lows in the lower 70s. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 45 mph in the evening Decreasing to 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 70 percent in the evening Decreasing to 50 percent after midnight.

Sunday...Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s.

Return to “Rose Forum”