Sienna Dawn

I want to move my Lady Banks...

...for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I have other plans for their current location, and secondly, I want to put them at each corner of the garden fence and let them grow around it.

Is it the right time of year, is the first question I guess, and should I prune them back before moving? They were fairly good sized when I bought and planted them a year ago.

Help please?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

At some point, these plants will go dormant for the season. (Note to folks who haven't lived in the Florida Panhandle: yes, freezes can happen!)

When the plants have gone dormant, prune them back normally--not heavily--and move them. Maintain as much of the rootball as you can, and dig generous holes for their new homes.

Water them into their new homes, making sure that there's lots of organic matter for the root hairs to grow into as the plants make their way.

Once they have bloomed in their new homes, maintain good rose care for at least the first year (just like you've already done), and then they'll probably be fine.

I don't know this particular variety, so it may require watching for longer than one season, but definitely keep an eye on things the first season after transplanting.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Sienna Dawn

Thanks!

Yes, we do get freezes up here in the panhandle, especially north of I-10 where I live. I'm an hour from the coast, so it's a bit chillier.

I appreciate the info on moving these. It's still green, but no new growth at the moment, so I'm guessing it's a couple of weeks or more from dormancy. I'll give it a bit, then move it.

This is my first experience with these particular roses, and I like them alot. No thorns, vigorous growers and TONS of blooms. They're small blooms, but numerous. They grow wild in the pine forests along the roads and interstates around here and given their own way, will climb over everything around them. Because it will need to be pruned back before moving, I may not have many blooms this time because they seem to prefer blooming on old growth, rather than new.

Thanks again!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

My roses drop their leaves around December through New Year's. I have a couple of weeks to prune them then.

Then the growth buds begin to show up for the next bunch of growth.

If the leaves on yours don't drop by mid-December, I'd be surprised. It's not just a lack of new growth; the flowers begin to develop rose hips and the leaves get brown and drop off.

At some point, you *should* (but check with a nursery near your home) have naked rose bushes. THAT is the best time to move 'em.

Cynthia

Sienna Dawn

You know, I can't remember if these particular roses ever lost their leaves last year. I have other roses in pots, because I'm sorry to say I keep meaning to get them into the yard and haven't yet succeeded, and they are losing their leaves now and rosehips abound. The Lady Banks; however, shows no signs of losing it's leaves and I don't think those eensy-weensy blooms make rosehips. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't noticed before... my lack of attention added to the shade may be the answer as to why they don't seem to like the spot they're in. :oops:

If it happens to be the case that the leaves don't drop, will it hurt them to be cut back and moved anyway in say... mid Nov?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Just time for a fly-by response tonight:

Maybe a local gardener can give you some advice on when/whether roses drop their leaves where you live?

Cynthia

Return to “Rose Forum”