kevinschoppe
Cool Member

David Austin Roses

I had a conversation with a person today who was of the opion that David Austin roses were better suited for cooler climates. What are your thoughts about this discussion?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I am not sure that is quite the way I would say it. David Austin roses seem to do well in the cooler climates, and have become quite popular in Canada because of this. But I wouldn't say they were "better suited". Just that they have a broader hardiness range than earlier breeds of roses, and therefore, have become popular in cooler climates. They certainly do just as well, if not better in warmer zones as well! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have discussed David Austens with a northern liscensed grower, and he toured all the facilities growing for DA in the States. Those of you down south can throw Mister Austens size estimates right out the window as they get MUCH leggier; rangey even, down south (I have seen 12' Austens myself in the D.C. area). Just not as good a rose down there as up here, but they will still do in most cases...

Scott

arkansasrose

I've grown a lot of Austins over the years and while it's true that some get leggy and rangey in the hot climates, pruning can keep them doable in the garden. In fact, some actually improve bloom production by pruning after each flush instead of trying to grow them as climbers (example: Graham Thomas). They are a mixed bag, really, and I wouldn't be without the ones I grow.

Return to “Rose Forum”