kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Favorite Rose Currently in Bloom in your Garden

Well, I can't right cut this rose, and mail it everyone. But, here is my current favorite rose. It is only a few months old, but this week it has bloomed pretty. It is a Tropical Sunset from J&P.

[img]https://info.conroeisd.net/~kschoppe/Tropical%20Sunset.jpg[/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You're right - that is a gorgeous rose! Don't they just make look in awe? Nicely done Kevin!

The favourite rose in my garden right now is "Everest Double Fragrance". I'm not able to send a picture right now, but it is absolutely beautiful. It is a cluster flowered floribunda (which is unusual for me - I'm a hybrid tea lady), bred in England by Beales in 1979. It is a very soft powdery coral pink, with a strong apple, clove, rose fragrance. It doesn't stop blooming for me all season. It stands 5 feet tall, and is in the centre of my heart shaped rose garden, towering over all the rest, and in the morning when the sun hits it, it just glows! - I could just go on and on, and without a photo you still would not know how gorgeous it is! Anyway, that is my favourite rose right now! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

My current fav (other than my lone rose at home, 'Therese Bugnet') is one called 'Grandma's Blessing', an Easy Elegancve intro from Bailey's Nursery. Ping Lim, their current breeder is a genius, and this is his best yet. Big grandiflora like flowers with a huge nose, glossy dark foliage, and it's disease resistant as any rose I've seen...a real winner

Val, you need to get one simply based on the name... :D

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I just may do that! I'll have to check it out and see. The name's right!! :wink:
VAL

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Scott! Checked out the Easy Elegance site - Grandma's Blessing is certainly a very pretty rose! Love the color - has so many variations. Given that I mostly collect Hybrid Teas, and this resembles a tea, I'm going to have to check out where to get one. There site only lists retailers within 100 miles! :lol: Thanks for telling us about this one! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am much impressed with the whole line, and mostly for the reasons you mentioned; they look like hybrid teas, but they act like landscape roses! We've been waiting for these roses for a long time... 8)

S

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You bet! There is another rose on their site that I thought looked interesting - Centennial. Have you actually seen it? I'm always so careful with the yellow tone roses because I don't like the really bright yellow. :roll:
Talk about picky eh? (how's that for being Canadian?) :lol:
VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

grandpasrose wrote: The favourite rose in my garden right now is "Everest Double Fragrance". VAL
What is the Zones for this rose?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Kevin, I have to say that everytime I enter this thread, the photo of your glowing rose just brightens my day! It is truly beautiful!

The zone rating for Everest Double Fragrance is Zone 6. I am in Zone 4a, but as you have already read in another thread, I take extra care with my roses for the winter. For this reason, I don't really pay attention to the Hardiness Zone rating. But for those who are not prepared to maintain this level of care, only buying roses appropriate for their Zone is wise.

Have a nice evening! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yes we have 'Centennial' and no, it's not "hot".

Eh...

:lol:

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You didn't get the accent Quiiiiiite right, eh? :lol:

So it's a softer yellow and probably would be more along what I would want, rather than those lemony, shocking things? :wink:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

My favorite right now is the "Chihuly" - it actually looks similar to the first post. I wish it had more of a scent to match but - oh well. :D

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

It is really similar isn't it? Maybe a bit more orange in it. This is a really new rose! I have never seen it yet, but I can give you a few facts about it if you don't think I'm being presumptuous?

Chihuly is a floribunda also known as WEKscemala, and was bred by Tom Carruth in 2004 in the U.S.
It's parents are "Scentimental" X "Amelia", and it has a bloodline of 218 roses (many French), including Chrysler Imperial, Queen Elizabeth, and Peace, all very strong roses.
Sounds like you probably have a good one there. Very pretty! :wink:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

I love my Chihuly. It seems to thrive even tho I haven't paid it much mind since my back went out. The other roses have suffered a little but this one is okay. It never seems to have trouble with black spot. I fight it with the other roses, but I don't think I've ever had it on the Chihuly. It's been a steady grower and nearly steady bloomer even through the hot summer.

My only complaint (and if this is a complaint, nobody should have roses) is it has the most bugger-of all-thorns all over it! I've never seen a rose with so many thorns!

I didn't know it was such a new rose! Neat :) I think there is a bit more orange in it.

https://www.weeksroses.com/chihuly.php

arkansasrose

Late to the party..I just saw this thread. Favorite blooming now would have to be Prairie Harvest, a Buck rose that satifies the soul with looks and fragrance. Like most Bucks, it's winter hardy and also takes the heat and humidity well here. One of my favorites throughtout the growing season.

[img]https://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL438/647794/3719079/63944191.jpg[/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Never too late for any party on this forum!!! :lol:

Nice rose! Does it get many blooms at a time - looks like the roses are more Tea like, than puffy like alot of shrubs. They sure have a lot of petals - 45 is high. Rated at Zone 5, so I might even get away with this one! My books say it grows to 10 feet, on line it says 4-5 feet. What has been your experience? Also, it's rated as light yellow, how yellow is it really? As Scott can attest - bright yellow is not my thing - but the more mellow ones are quite pretty.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful rose with us! :wink:
VAL

arkansasrose

Val, first, thank you for your warm welcome overall..I appreciate it.

This Buck is an upright grower to about 6' for me, however, I prune after each flush and maintain her more in the 4-5' range. Since the Bucks were bred by Dr. Buck to be hardy to Zone 5 (Iowa), winter hardiness was not in question for me..the heat was. They have all taken our Zone 7 (we're very similar to the North Texas climate) summers without batting an eye. The bush is loaded with blooms each flush and the yellow is very soft and muted..almost a cream. Did I mention fragrance?? Oh, yes, another plus. The blooms are very high centered on first opening..very hybrid tea looking. Disease resistance is very good, also. Can you tell this is a great favorite here??

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I can very much tell that you love this rose - and it loves you back!
I am certainly going to look for this one on my next rose buying excursion!

You're welcome for the welcome! :lol: Everyone should feel welcome here, and I try to keep that feeling going. Thanks.
Your knowledgeable contributions have been more than welcome as well, and I hope you continue to feel free to speak up! :wink:
VAL

Return to “Rose Forum”