GMC
Newly Registered

Brown Leaves on Lilac - How often should it be Watered?

Hi,
I have a lilac that was propagated from the ground to a large pot about 2 months ago. The leaves keep turning brown and dying then new leaves grow back and the same thing is happening again. Any suggestions? Also how often should I be watering the lilac plants?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds kind of like a bacterial infection (Psuedomonas syringiensis)...

Are the leaves going a very black mush? That would be it. Not much you can do other than a very expensive antibacterial called Agristrep that I'm not even sure is available to homeowners... Clean and trimm off all infected parts (wiping your shears with alcohol between cuts) and BOrdeaux mix can be somewhat helpful and not toxic at all (Copper, and sulfur, basically...)

There IS a new product I have been trialing at home called Messenger that activates the plants natural defenses; it is available out there, it's VERY safe and I'm very pleased with initial results. Too complex to go into in detail, but I think this may be the new answer to a lot of issues. Keep looking here for my trial results and more info, or trial it yourself at home and you may have some glowing reports of your own to add...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Actually, recent studies have shown that Copper sulphate is toxic to soil flora and fauna. Especially the fauna in particular earthworms. So, if you need to use the chemical then by all means use it but, just don't go overboard with it.

Sometimes with a bacterial infection or a viral infection in a plant, the only organic solution that is good for the environment it to burn the infect parts of the plant and in severe cases, to burn the entire plant or plants that have been affected.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hmmm... takes away a good tool in the arsenal, but I trust Opa's research to be factual...make sure you sterilize with alcohol between EVERY cut trimming this back, and yes burning (or throwing in the garbage) is the best route...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMC
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for all of the relplies. It is freezing in Long Beach, NY right now, so I haven't been able to see what is going on with my plants. The leaves were turning brown, not black and mushy. It was very windy where we lived last year and that might have been part of the problem. I will keep all of you post and look forward to more excellent advise and replies towards the spring. :wink: :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi GMC with regard to your original question:

Just water your plant when the soil starts to become dry. Plants don't live on schedules and there is no real "set watering plan" for any plant because in different regions, the soils dry out faster or slower based on the climate, soil type and so on.

So basically, water the plant when it needs to be watered.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMC
Newly Registered

Thanks much. That is what I thought I should do. We shall see this season. :?: :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Welcome, good luck with your plant.

Happy Gardening.

GMC
Newly Registered

Thanks much. I love reading everybody's information. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Most welcome! :)

Return to “Lilacs Forum”