minnesota_girl

Josee Reblooming Lilacs?

Anybody try josee reblooming lilacs? My dad bought 4 and planted them too early and one died but three are still growing. Do they really bloom until frost, if thats true I might pick some up, too. He got them here:

https://michiganbulb.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_71656_A_Josee+Reblooming+Lilacs_E_

raspie
Newly Registered

Hi there! I can't tell you first hand if it will bloom as stated. However, I bought one early this summer on-line. When it arrived it was small but healthy. So far it has grown about 12" and seems to like the St Paul area. I am excited at the idea of having licac's all season.

Take a risk, they are 1/2 price now... and only take up a small space..

minnesota_girl

Nice to meet you, thanks. I bought four. St. Paul, I'm in Cambridge in Isanti County. I couldn't handle the cities. Mine haven't grown much but they are doing fine.

I didn't think anybody was going to reply, so thank you.

bali

Ha I just posted the same question.
I just came on here tonite.
I bought 2 and they both had tiny blooms till frost.
Grew real nice. I am zone 5 and lilacs do well here .
Hope they do bloom all year.

Caluna

In order for the Josee to rebloom, they need to be deadheaded after blooming. It takes about 6-8 weeks for it to rebloom, but it certainly does do it. It becomes less and less, but it's still nice to have a lilac with a few blooms in mid-October like mine did.

Love Flowers
Newly Registered

I called a local garden center today and asked them if they stock the reblooming lilac and they advised they do not recommend them as they do not continue to bloom fully just a bloom here and there. Just curious how those of you that have the reblooming lilacs find them to bloom. :?

pennysworth
Newly Registered

From the successful gardeners of the Josee Reblooming Lilac: what is the soil mixture?

I'm in central New Jersey.

Thanks

Bree1978
Newly Registered

I wouldn't call myself a successful gardener of the josee, but I do have one that I planted last year. It is doing WONDERFULLY! All I did was add compost last year when I planted it (I planned on dressing it with compost this year too...any day now). It flowered a few weeks later, and then again about two months later. I did dead head it. It grew probably 12 inches. I have clay soil.

However I put it too close to my hollyhocks, should I move it in fall? I only want to move it about a foot or two. It's leaves are budding out now. It's been a cold year.

Thanks!

Caluna

Josee does rebloom right into october easily.
I've had mine bloom right into mid-october, and I am from upstate NY

The first three blooming cycles are pretty full, and the last two I experienced were less.

Washingtonian
Newly Registered

I have had a Josee lilac for about 4 to 5 years now. I live outside Washington, DC, which is not the ideal location for lilacs as they prefer colder winters. However, Josee has bloomed reliably for me each Spring with a profusion of flowers with the sweetest scent. Something between baby powder and jasmine. They have a smaller blossom than traditional lilacs (such as old farm purple, the most common lilac) or the double French type of lilacs. They are a mauve/pink color. I especially like to use them when I am making corsages as an accent flower.

They do rebloom, but you must dead-head the spent blooms from the first Spring bloom. Then you will only get a few blooms on the plant throughout the rest of the season ... but, hey, a few blooms is better than no blooms ... especially if you LOVE lilacs, which I do.

I am also experimenting this Spring with snipping a few budded stems, with no open blooms, and gently striping the lower 1 inch of woody stem to expose the green inner stem. I have stored these in water, covered with a Debby Meyer's "green bag" in a spare fridge. The budded stems have held, with no wilting for over a week. I have wedding flowers to do for April 30th and I'm hoping to be able to add a few touches of Josee to the corsages. I plan on taking the buds out of the fridge about 2 days before the wedding, placing them in warm water and giving them a warm location and, well, we'll see if this works.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

jobolu3
Newly Registered

I purchased a Josee reblooming lilac last year when I lived in Virginia Beach, Va. The winter was just cold enough for her and she was spectacular! We were recently transfered to southern Louisiana where of course there is no winter. Is my lilac doomed? She is sort of trying to bloom this year but it is nothing like last year! Any advice please?

Return to “Lilacs Forum”