YellowLilac
Newly Registered

Tree??

I have a yellow lilac, and I mean YELLOW! I have had it at least 15 years and now it is at least 20 feet tall. There have never been any suckers produced off of it . It has 2 trunks.I haven't found anything like it on the internet. I've seen what they say have pale yellow flowers, but these are really yellow. I don't remember where I got it. I will post a couple pictures that were taken a few years ago. I would like to know if anyone has ever seen or had one and also, how I go about getting starts from it.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Attachments
11329879_10200727032815192_3324720841140033270_n.jpg
12963387_10201786900591224_5412476593149878425_n.jpg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Astounding! You have a gem. I think without a sucker to pull up for a start you could take a cutting from a tender bottom branch, put it in a vase with some rooting solution or compound. Surely you will have many wanting a cutting...me included. Good Luck.

applestar
Mod

I agree cuttings would the method for propagating. Also I think what you have is the French ‘Primrose’ lilac. It should have the lovely lilac fragrance, and all descriptions say that older shrubs will produce more intense yellow flowers. So your propagated babies will likely only produce the paler yellow flowers at first.
Lilac 'Primrose' - DeGroot
https://www.degroot-inc.com/product/lilac-primrose/

Lilac, ‘Primrose’ – this is a rare buttery-yellow Lilac that is much sought after but seldom found. The color actually deepens & grows more intense with age. ‘Primrose’ is beloved in Europe but hard to find here in the States. Exceptionally fragrant blooms are superb for cutting and the perfume will fill your whole house!
Lilac cuttings will need properly prepared rooting medium, not water. There are other sources describing how to, but I prefer university horticultural sites which tends to be more thorough. Try this one:
Lilac Propagation | Lilac Propagation by Cuttings
https://sites.psu.edu/lilacpropagation/ ... opagation/

It does say lilacs are difficult and it will take 6-8 weeks to root/start growing roots. Pay attention to what part of the branches to take cuttings from. It doesn’t specifically mention but they should be this years new growths *that did not bloom* — branches that bloomed have spent energy into flowering and are tired.

Good luck!

....also.... I forgot to look and it’s too tiresome to do on the iPhone, but consider propagating by GROUND LAYERING — this takes time (won’t know until next year if it worked or not) and only small number can be started at a time, but not much effort. I’ve described the process on the forum before so you might search for that thread using the forum search.

YellowLilac
Newly Registered

Thank you both for your suggestions. I believe that I will try and get as many cuttings as I can and try a few different ways of getting them to root.

applestar
Mod

Propagating a plant is a fun experiment and project. I first got into amateur horticulture and gardening when I found out you could grow clones of African violets from rooting their leaves — back in high school, and startedexperimenting with my Mom’s plants.

You could also try airlayering if you are type to go out and monitor during the summer — I usually only airlayer plants indoors. I’ve never used this particular product — but I have had varying success by the very basic, wrap with sphagnam moss and plastic wrap/bag method, as well as diy made with plastic water and soda bottles.

I’ll post this link since this is where I first saw one of these, but it’s available from other gardening supply sources, etc. as well.

Standard Rooter Pots | Plant Rooting System | Kinsman Garden
https://www.kinsmangarden.com/product/S ... ooter-Pots

YellowLilac
Newly Registered

Apple star....that sounds like great fun! I will get some and try it! Thank you so much!

Return to “Lilacs Forum”