ashleydanielle89

Lilac dying

I'm posting for a friend, let me know if more details are needed. This lilac bush was planted a month or so ago, gets full sun, and plenty of water. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

I apologize for the picture quality, I can try to get more if needed.
Attachments
IMG_4228.jpg
IMG_4228.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 21021 times
IMG_4226.jpg
IMG_4226.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 21021 times
IMG_4227.jpg
IMG_4227.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 21021 times

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

The leaves on that lilac don't look good. If the lilac was just transplanted from an established location to a new location, then it could be suffering from transplant shock. Summer is not a good time to transplant lilacs. I have my own lilacs and I propogate them. They lose their leaves when the plant roots are disturbed. Fall is a better time to transplant lilacs. I tried transplanting some lilacs in the summer back when I didn't know any better and none of the plants survived. You will know next spring if the plant survives or not. That is when the new leaves appear.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

It sure looks sad. The rootball may be drying and repelling water instead of absorbing it. Because the leaves look so dry, I would extract the plant, dunk it in water for 1-2 hours or until you do not see any bubbles coming to the surface. Then plant it back with organic mulch (ie, no rock mulch). Have your friend water deeply but not often.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”