Mariev2
Newly Registered

How Many Lilac Cuttings to Plant Together??

Hello! I'm new here, and to gardening as well! I had a very overgrown and uncared for lilac that came with our house. It was 10'-15' tall, and in very sad shape. Not really knowing what to do or caring if I got blooms for a few years, I cut it down to about 12" from the ground (this was a year or two ago.) It is growing back just fine! But when I was cutting it I took several cuttings and just stuck them straight in the dirt next to it. All of those cuttings are doing just fine as well. I didn't expect them to make it so they are all just lined up in a row. I want to move them from the backyard to the front and take care of them so I can get some new bushes going. So my drawn out question is - how many of these cuttings do I plant together? Or will each cutting produce a good size bush? I live in California if that makes any difference. I don't know what kind of lilac it is either. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Lilac is a multi-stemmed bush. Ideally I would move them when they are dormant. With the next-best time when they are well supplied with water.

You could plant three or more in a clump to give the appearance of fullness. Inasmuch as you're new to transplanting, more clones in the same hole may improve the odds of survival.

Mariev2
Newly Registered

Thank you so much! I will try transplanting next year when they are dormant.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”