ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Spring must be on the way

Just noticed today that the buds on my lilacs are swelling! We're supposed to get below or near freezing temperatures next week so I hope the little buds hold off just a bit longer. But so happy to see that the bush I planted in the poorly drained horrid soil area of my yard is still hanging in there.

This one is a white flowered plant I got from a neighbor. It's still a baby at only 5 years old but it's nearing 6 feet tall and starting to spread a bit.

applestar
Mod

Sounds wonderful! I love fragrance of lilacs, though I don't have any in my garden (...yet 8) )

I noticed my peach tree buds have tiny pink unfolding at their tips :D

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Yup - my asian pears are just about ready to bloom. Asian plums have been in bloom for a week or so already out here. Your post reminded me there's what I think is a lilac just clinging to life on a clay hillside here. I thought it was a goner a couple years ago, but it seems to be holding its own. No flowers...I might have to mulch it this year, see if I can help it along.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Lilacs budding, the green showing strong, the forsythia are blooming and the redbuds showing some red. I suppose an early apricot bloom will follow and then get nipped and no apricots this year. All this is about three weeks early here.

imafan26
Mod

Crazy weather the seasons are a bit muddled.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

They're just starting to bloom now. The purple ones are starting to open. I haven't checked the white ones yet but they usually run a few days to a week behind. I so love the scent of lilac flowers.

applestar
Mod

Me too. My mom has lilacs. I haven't tried growing them because of the acid clay soil.

I noticed yesterday that the Carolina Allspice is blooming. I'm always intrigued by the deep burgundy color 8)
image.jpeg
I keep the pruned sticks from this shrub for the spicy scent. :D

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Just noticed today that the buds on my lilacs are swelling! We're supposed to get below or near freezing temperatures next week so I hope the little buds hold off just a bit longer.

We have a lilac at a new location this year. It was loaded with buds all over; like little tiny bunches of grapes! But, it froze heavily after that, and they never bloomed. So, I guess heavy frost can kill the lilac blossoms? This is the first lilac I've ever had.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

From what I just read they are very freeze sensitive. Ours usually don't break dormancy until the weather has warmed and the nights have been above freezing for a few weeks.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”