jends23
Newly Registered

trasplanted lilac bush dying :(

I transplanted a 3 year old lilac tree 2 weeks ago. I dug a large hole, added compost and watered generously.
However, the leaves are wilted and dying off and I am desperately hoping someone can help bring it back.
It was from a family members garden and they have since passed, I would be so disappointed if I can't get it back to life.
I have watered enough, but must be missing something. Perhaps its shock and will come back??
Thank you .

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Where are you located & what is the weather like?

That aside, it's fairly normal for transplanted mature shrubs/trees to suffer from transplant shock. Assuming you took as large a root ball as possible & placed the tree in an advantageous spot for it, there's very little you can do about it at this point. Yes, you do want to keep it sufficiently watered if your weather is dry, but not to the point of drowning. Be careful about that.

applestar
Mod

Is the native soil clay or sandy? Lilac needs well draining, actually kind of gritty soil rather than rich, soft compost-y soil I believe. It also needs extra lime-y soil.

A big hole filled with compost is not usually a good idea for a woods transplant......

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Timing is important for transplanting lilacs. Best time is Fall. Your lilac might survive but you won't know until next Spring. If the root is still alive at that time, new leaves will appear. In the meantime, the root will need water.
I have never had a lilac survive a Summer transplant. Sorry - I'm not trying to discourage you. That's just how it is. I have an old heirloom lilac plant that produces lots of shoots. I experience 100% transplant success when I transplant the shoots in the fall and 0% success if I try to do it in the Summer.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”