jeffmar
Newly Registered

New Lilac transplant problem - Lilac Leaves turned Brown

we transplanted a newly purchased lilac last year. The leaves turned brown and fell off, we figured it was shock. This year only one of four trunks leafed out. After cutting back obviously dead wood I found that the three leafless trunks are still green and alive. what can I do to bring visible life back to the naked branches?How long does it take a new plant to bloom? We didn't get any blooms either.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

First stop moving it around :lol:

It may be that the roots are still getting set so the plant won't leaf out until they are. If the plant's not ready for leaves, it's definitely not ready for flowers. Until the roots are happy, ain't no part of the plant happy, so throw a little wood ash around the base, water it in, and wait. If you have green wood, eventually the rest will follow...

HG

jeffmar
Newly Registered

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't been moving it around this happened right from the garden center. I will wood ash it and wait. thanks again.

jeffmar
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info. This problem happened after the initial and only planting. I will wood ash and wait. Thanks again.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good luck...

jeffmar
Newly Registered

How much wood ash and how often. Is there such a thing as too much ash ?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah, you COULD dump enough ash to start to change ph drastically, but you'd about need a dump truck to do it...

A pound a square foot is not too much; anything more could start to change things...

bamboogirl
Newly Registered

I go to NH often and dig up lilac and bring them back to ne tn..lilac are very hardy/tough plants....I will wait a full year before I pull out or cut dead looking parts out...lilac sends new shoots out under ground like a bamboo rhizomes almost...just give it time...mulch it and water it regularly
I grow white,lavender and french...I'm looking for yellow and pink lilac...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good advice, that...

Patience is a gardeners best friend...

Return to “Lilacs Forum”