beth2
Newly Registered

small bushes didnt flower

I bought two small lilac bushes (two feet when bought) last year. They were planted in the early fall. In the spring they had lots of good growth, have doubled in size...but no flowers. I recently bought another one of the same size. They get morning shade but from noon on to sunset they are in direct sun.
Now, at stores Ive seen them in bloom at this size....will mine ever bloom?
Someone thought they may be grown from runners and may not ever bloom. IS this true!?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Beth,

I realize you asked a similar question already and Gnome gave you a great response. Basically the answer to this is the same. Often plants will establish their roots for a year after transplanting, so that may be what is happening with your lilacs. They have spent energy into leafy growth that will eventually support flowers. The saying goes; 'the first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap'.

Lilacs prefer a more alkaline soil and little nitrogen fertilizer. Consider sprinkling a cup of lime around the roots and scratching it in. I don't recommend synthetic fertilizers, especially with lilacs. If you feel the need to fertilize you can add a 1/2" to the root zone under the mulch with the lime. They like compost and it releases the nutrients slowly and gently.

Newt

beth2
Newly Registered

thanks for the info and the tips. I will give it a try..

Newt
Greener Thumb

Beth, you are very welcome! In re-reading my answer to you, I just realized it sounds like I was recommending a 1/2" of lime. I meant a 1/2" of compost!

Newt

Return to “Lilacs Forum”