Cntryjewell
Newly Registered

Extreme Newbie and baby Evangeline Lilac

Happy 4th All!!

I am new to the forum as well as gardening, and hoping that someone might be able to help me out.

My husband bought me a lilac bush for my birthday this summer as a memorial bush for my mom who crossed in May. I didn't plant it right away (a week or two), and then finally decided where we were going to put it. We got it in the ground, but some of the leaves (after about a month or so) are starting to make me nervous.

Here are a couple of pictures of it here so you can see what I am talking about...

[url]https://www.myenchantedjourney.com/images/Lilac_full.jpg[/url]
[url]https://www.myenchantedjourney.com/images/Lilac_top.jpg[/url]

I have looked at all of the leaves and it doesn't appear that there is anything pest wise that might be bothering it. I've done some research online (and in these forums) and it doesn't look like the black bacterial ick that I've seen pictures of. So the only thing that I can think of immediately is either too much water or not enough.

I know that lilacs aren't supposed to have a boat load of water so I've been watering it every Thursday with a good deep soak, but as little as the bush is I'm not sure if it needs more or less water.

Any help that you could help me with I would greatly appreciate it.

Jewell

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

I would say too wet. Lilacs hate having their roots permanently wet and the leaves are yellowing in your pics as well as the tips turning brown.
Apart from the new growth at the top it looks very healthy so it should pick up. Wait for it to produce new growth and then start to water (only if it doesn't rain) at the base (not on foliage) The tips may shrivel before it picks up. Cut them off.

rosemariebruss
Newly Registered

Hi
I am so grateful that you added pictures to your post. The lilac bush I bought, planted and wrote about looks very much like yours except there hasn't been any new growth at the top. I'll follow Jess's advice about snipping the yellowed leaves off.
Rose

Return to “Lilacs Forum”