rosemariebruss
Newly Registered

no stem growth, top leaves wilted

Happy Fourth from a newbie to the forum and to growing lilacs! My husband and I purchased a house last year; this spring I bought a small lilac bush and transplanted from the container to a sunny spot in our yard. The soil is somewhat sandy, and compost was added to the hole before backfilling. The branch ends turned brown/black, the uppermost leaves are wilted and becoming more yellowish although the lower leaves are all vibrant green. While blooms were not an expectation, how can we reverse this? I am guilty of underwatering, but have corrected this (I hope). Thanks to all for your help. :oops:

MANDYLOUISE
Newly Registered

I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM. I PURCHASED A FAIRY PLUM LILAC LAST YEAR AND THIS YEAR I MOVED IT TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION, BUT STILL IN FULL SUN. SINCE IT WAS MOVED IT HAS DROPPED ALL THE LEAVES AND APPEARS DEAD BUT STILL HAS SOME GREEN IN THE STEMS WHEN I CLIPPED TO CHECK IT. I don't KNOW WHETHER TO TRY AND MOVE IT AGAIN THIS FALL OR JUST LEAVE IT ALONG AND WAIT TILL NEXT SPRING AND HOPE IT IMPROVES.

rosemariebruss
Newly Registered

Hi Mandylouise,

I had spoken to my mother about the lilac problem. She told me that she'd had a lilac once but it had been planted in proximity to another shrub, and the two did not play well together. The lilac lost out. Is yours planted nearby another plant/shrub that may be causing a problem? My mother was, at the time, a very adept gardener so I think she (or my sister who once lived in the same house) might not have tried too hard to rescue the lilac.

Rose

Return to “Lilacs Forum”