CatNippy81

Hedges: Would 300 ft of lilac look nice as a natural fence?

Hubs and I have been trying to figure out something for our ugly fence line. It sit up against a bus barn and we would like to hide it as much as we can without hurting the fence. We looked at a few different options. Then I realized that a vacant piece of property my father owns is full of 90 year old lilac. Pink, purple and white. Best of all... It's free.

Would 300 ft of lilac look nice as a natural fence? How far apart should I plant them. Do I break up a root ball or just plant a whole chunk with multiple saplings on it?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Lilacs look good almost anywhere. If you place them 3' apart they should fill in nicely, or plant them closer and thin and replant.

90 year old Lilacs, that would be worth seeing.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can you actually move them? I have a lilac in my front yard that I assume was planted when the house was new which is right about 90 years ago. It is gigantic, a colony at least 20 feet in diameter. I guess I could dig individual shoots out of it, especially the younger ones around the outside. Some of the old shoots in the center are 3" in diameter and I don't think they are going anywhere.

CatNippy81

I'm talking about taking up some of the outside shoots. These bushes are more like a thicket rather than one plant and there are 5 different thickets. 90 years of lilac spreading unchecked.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Lilacs are very easy to root in the spring. Just cut off a section, dip in root hormone, place in sand or light potting mix and keep constantly damp until well rooted. The cuttings will grow rapidly, forming decent sized bushes within 3-4 years.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”