MammaLeaf

Do Lilacs Cross Pollinate?

My mother gave me some lilac from her yard that blooms light purple and I found some at the garden shop that is dark purple with white border. I planted them in the same plot hoping that I would have one big bush with two colors blooming from it. My mother said that they would cross pollinate and the blooms wouldn't be the same next year. Is this true :?: Should I separate them to different parts of the yard :?: Any help would be appreciated. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No it is not true. The progeny of such crossing would often be different, but might just take after one or the other; you would have to harvest the seed and then grow them out and select the ones you like. They will be fine together...

HG

MammaLeaf

Thanks for your reply...
So next spring will I have either light or dark blossoms, or both like I was hoping? ie. Are you saying that putting them together will make them go one way or the other? Just wanted to clarify :lol:

When you say you planted the two lilacs in the same plot do you mean the same planting hole? If so, one plant should be removed and replanted farther away.

Crowding invites disease and insects and can lower bloom count. Well spaced plants need little care and that happens by providing good air circulation and light, so plants can quickly dry after rain or watering and leaves can receive sun to manufacture food. You increase the risk of mildew by overcrowding and lilacs are prone to mildew to begin with. Although you may have a newer variety that is somewhat resistant.

To judge spacing: The width of a plant can be half of its height and then some. Add the spread of the two lilacs and divide by two. This figure is the space to leave bewteen the new plant and its neighbor. This sounds like a lot now but as the lilacs mature they will need that room. Keep in mind that you need room to work inside the shrub to remove leaf litter, the faded blooms and older canes.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks for that...

MammaLeaf

Thanks for the tip. I'm not really worried about spacing as neither plant is taller than two feet. The one I got from my mother is a sprout off of hers and hasn't even grown enough to blossom yet. I'm pretty sure they have plenty of room together.
What I was hoping for is one lilac bush I can keep pruned enough to keep it healthy and to a good size, but will produced two colors of blossoms. If this isn't possible, then I will transplant one to another spot. Will planting them together eventually result in ONE color of blossom?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

NO.

Not ever.

Ever.

Try 'Sensation' ; a bi-color bloom (white edge on dark purple bloom). Reads silvery from a distance. One of my favorites and the only one currently in my yard...

Scott

Me thinks she already has 'Sensation' - its one of the two lilacs planted in the same hole. Will have to look for that variety on my next nursery foray - alas though I am out of growing space for shrubs.

Lilacs are pruned once a year and that is done right after blooms fade. Pruning should rarely be needed. Better to just remove the faded blooms. If you prune to control height or width at any other time of the year, you won't have to be concerned with what color the next blooms will be because you will have removed most of the buds.

Since you seem determined to try this experiment - its your lilacs and your time - go for it! Gardening = Experimenting. Post back at a later date with your progress. We might all learn something new from it. Good Luck.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Check the articles on the site for lilac pruning tips. I continue to see more and more badly pruned lilacs; folks prune the "suckers" and leave the old growth and are suprised when the plant begins to die. Prune one third of the old growth every year and youi will have a six foot shrub that rejuvenates itself rather than a 12 footer (with all the flowers six feet over your head) that gets weaker and weaker every year...

Another good catch; that does sound like 'Sensation' from her description. :roll: You're my new proofreader! :wink:

Scott

MammaLeaf

THANK YOU BOTH very much :!: Very helpful information. I'm SO glad I found this website. :D I bookmarked it right away :wink: - in fact the reason I posted here is because of all the information and on-hand help that is available. I didn't consider putting the two plants together until I read what was in the articles about pruning them and felt up to the challange. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes :!: 8)

MammaLeaf

P.S.- The "Sensation" is beautiful! I couldn't pass it up when I saw it. Two reasons: I love the smell and purples are my fav colors. I think I will be satisfied. :D Thanks again

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not a problem...

HG

Return to “Lilacs Forum”