CatNippy81

Are these lilacs?

They look like a type of lilac to me but smaller. The leaves are small and roundish and the the flower buds are darker purple. When they are open they are lighter and look very much like a lilac flower, just smaller.

[img]https://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg525/ArcheryGurl81/DSCF2653.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg525/ArcheryGurl81/DSCF2659.jpg[/img]

I hope the pictures helps.

WildcatNurseryman

It is. That is a Dwarf Koran Lilac. Much denser and rounded in its growth. Very good plant, and comes in many different varieties. New reblooming types are coming into the market as well. (I usually wait a year or two to let them work the kinks out before I buy the newer types)

CatNippy81

Oh cool. I thought they were some type of lilac. Nobody had a clue but they sure are cute. These are just outside my front door. They will probably make the whole front yard smell like lilacs once they all bloom. There are a lot of flowers on this bush.

WildcatNurseryman

Keep in mind that they can get fairly large if left to their own devices. I have seen them reach a height of 6' and 7-8' wide. If they are at your entrance, and are still very tiny you may consider a yearly sheer directly after they bloom. This wil allow you too keep them in size for much longer. Sheering the tips off after bloom may stimulate a later bloom this year as well. These are super tough plants and are really good selections for most any landscape.

CatNippy81

You were so right. I cut this bush into a more round shape and sure enough it started putting out flowers at the end of July. Just blew my aunt away because she has a yard full of lilacs and they never put off flowers after spring. Just a nice surprise:) Thanks for your help:)

Return to “Lilacs Forum”