Netts

general care for two new lilacs?

Hello there all you lilac enthusiasts! I,m new to the forum and am now living in the north of spain. I,m retired with many interests, but
gardening is really the favourite. I live in the almost mountain area of Spain with many days of sunshine but also quite a few very cold nights.
The garden faces south and I have two tiny lilac bushes, only so far a foot tall! How can I ensure that they grow fast and strong, what soil do they prefer and are they going to be tough enough to manage a quite high altitude. I am English and remember beautiful lilacs from my childhood and the wonderful perfume. Any tips?

Looking forward to hearing from some gardening
enthusiasts

Best wishes from Annette

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Annette,

I too love lilacs. My mother now lives in Phoenix and I cut some of mine when they are in bud and ship them overnight to her so she can enjoy their fragrance.

Lilacs tend to prefer a more alkaline soil and don't like alot of nitrogen fertilizer. Add compost to the planting bed and prune within two weeks of the finish of bloom. There are many informative posts here in the lilac forum. Have you had a chance to read through them? There are several posts with links to informative sites that should be helpful.

I remember giving you a link to a hardiness zone map. Were you able to figure out your zone from it? I'd love to know what you think it might be.

Newt

Newt
Greener Thumb

Netts, you have a private message.

Newt

Return to “Lilacs Forum”