dberreth
Newly Registered

New Lilac turning black

I just planted 87 new lilacs about a week ago, it has been raining alot lately and now the leaves are curling up and turning black. Is it getting too much water or is it normal for newly planted lilacs to do this after planting?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely not normal! Sounds like some kind of fungal condition from all the rain.

87 lilac bushes!! How many acres do you have!?

Sounds like you are one of those people that gets an enthusiasm and plunges in head over heels. Since you clearly don't have much experience growing lilacs, it might have been a good plan to start with a couple and see how they do. You risk losing a lot of money this way....

dberreth
Newly Registered

I was given them free and I live on a 2 acres lot, it will be my snow barrier eventually.
Will miracle grow help them at all?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, definitely not. Worst thing you can do for plants that are struggling is feed them, especially synthetic fertilizer. Forces them to put energy in to new growth that they need for fighting the infection.

You need some kind of antifungal. Try hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle in a sprayer (but spray a small area first and let it sit for a day to be sure it doesn't burn the plant). Or a baking soda solution.

Free lilac bushes is a great gift!

Return to “Lilacs Forum”