Dean

lilac pruning

I have two lilac bushes in the sunny back yard of the home I just bought in central illinois. they appear not to have been pruned or maintained in any way for years. I was pleasantly surprised to seem them bloom this spring, despite their general poor condition. there are two distinct plants, each a few feet around about three feet apart. they are woody and stunted-less than three feet t all. they are overgrown with weedy grass. how should I go about bringing them back to good health so they can grow and expand. my long-term goal with them is to let them be the border between my yard and my neighbors. there is about a 30 ft strip adjoining our backyards and I would love to see it filled with healthy blooming lilacs.

generally the soil in my backyard is good, and I have a healthy thriving lawn and the other plants in the yard are doing well. the soil is somewhat clayey, but easy to dig in and work in.

thanks

dean

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Clear the grass (that's the stunting) and then follow the instructions for pruning mature lilacs on the website. Let us know how it turns out...

Scott

I got all the grass cleared out, pulled out all the deadwood, and put down a good layer of mulch. they look much better already. I will prune here in a week or two after the blooms are gone. thanks a bunch

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Plenty of water and a good feed and you should be on your way to better lilacs...

Return to “Lilacs Forum”