M.Clark

How close is too close plant separation distance for hedge?

A relative of mine is giving me all the lilac shoots I can dig up to plant as a hedge along my property line. Having seen how their hedge was, the plants are about two to three feet apart in the section that looks the best. The height is about 12 feet and they have this running for about 30 feet along a fence line.

I have read in places that they should be 8 to 10 feet between plants, which poses the question, how close is too close? These shoots are about 3 to 4 feet in height, some are starting to branch out while others are more of a tall stick. I am sure that I could get up to 30 if I wanted.

The location has wonderful dark, rich soil with tons of organic material and is full sun all day. It is also in a very easy location to water on a regular basis. My goal is to create a thick and tall hedge to help create a sense of privacy for my driveway. If I plant these shoots 3 feet apart, will that be too close, and if so, why? Additionally, will it grow taller/ faster if there is more or less space between plants? I am looking for the quickest way to get this hedge to grow with the plants that I am given.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

To get a dense growth fairly quickly, I would suggest spacing them about 3 to 6 feet apart. I think the 8 to 10 foot spacing would be if you wanted them to develop as separate plants, rather than as a hedge.

Your choice depends on the look you want to achieve, I.e. a dense, thick hedge, or a less dense row of individual shrubs.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No closer than 3 -4'. The reason for that is that lilacs become very big shrubs. If they are too close all the branches will be crossing and rubbing against each other. Rubbing branches need to be pruned out or it causes wounds that can become infected. If the shrubs are too close, you will spend your whole life pruning out crossing branches.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”