Just Getting Started

Can I transplant Jossee Lilacs now?

I would like to transplant some very young Josee Lilac bushes now. I planted them in the Spring and they have tripled in size. I want to move them into another garden. Is this a bad idea? I live in Zone 5 near Cleveland. If I can, are there any tips you can give me to assure they are safe?

Thanks,

Jusr Getting Started

M.J.
Newly Registered

Hi there. I have 3 Jossee Lilacs which are still small but seem
to be doing fine. I transplanted a 4th from a shady area to
a sunny area and it died. I wonder if I waited too late in the
year-it was close to Thanksgiving when I did it and I believe
I forgot to fertilize to help it start over. Wish I had more
helpful info for you. I live in sw MO. M.J.

microcollie
Green Thumb

You probably still have time this year to transplant them and have roots re-establish before the ground freezes. I always try to give myself 6 to 8 weeks before the freeze date to transplant.

That said, if you do it now, it will probably be at the expense of next year's blossoms. They will have already set their buds for the spring, and flower buds are always the first thing that a plant will abort when stressed. (I also normally prune shrubs when transplanting, so that would mean cutting the buds off.)

The other option would be to transplant right after they bloom next spring. That's what I would probably do here, but having grown up in the midwest, I know it can sometimes go straight from spring to brutally hot. If that's your usual weather pattern in Ohio, I would opt for doing it now and being a little sad next spring.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”