christihunny
Newly Registered

Leaves brown on new korean lilac

Hi,
We planted a dwarf korean lilac at the beginning of July. The leaves have been green and healthy looking up until last week. Temperatures have been around 100 for several days.
Half the leaves on the back side of the tree turned first and then the other half followed this week. They are dried out there is no black or any appearance of bugs on the leaves. I don't know if maybe a lack of water or too much water. We also spray the leaves when watering. We also use miracle grow once a week.

Is there any chance the tree is ok??

We also have flowers in the area of the tree that are doing wonderfully. I have day lillies, knock out roses, balloon flowers, yews and crimson pygmy barberry.

Thank You for you help!!
Christina

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Christina,

The best time to plant a lilac is in early spring or fall when they're dormant. The stress of the heat could be playing a role in what you are seeing as the plant hasn't had time to adjust.

Lilacs don't like alot of fertilizer. Giving them Miracle Gro is really bad for them as too much nitrogen can burn the roots and cause the leaves to turn brown. Once a week is definately too much for any perennial shrub or plant. Once a month would be more then enough for most, and if you've added compost to the bed, you shouldn't need the Miracle Gro at all. It also can cause leafy growth at the expense of flowers. Better to topdress the roots with an inch of compost. Sprinkle a cup of lime with it as they prefer a more alkaline soil. I suggest the lime since you've used the Miracle Gro. You don't say where you live so I don't know what type of soil you may have.

I don't know how you've been watering, but I suggest that you use this as a guide. Most folks tend to overwater.
https://www.heardgardens.com/basicsforlilacs.htm
https://spi.8m.com/care.htm

Newt

Return to “Lilacs Forum”