1manda1

lilac with mildew problem!!!

I have recently noticed what seemst o be slight mildew on the leaves of my hydrangea, lilac bush and rhododendrum. I have a million plants, but just these 3 seem to be effected. Is there a way to control this, preferably the same way with all 3 or do they need different care? Should I cut the infected leaves off? I do water in the mrning or evening, but do get the leaves wet. I'm assuming that is what is causing the mildew. My biggest concern is do I cut off infected leaves or not? And how to prevent this from happening agian.

Amanda

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Amanda,

Powdery mildew isn't caused by you watering the leaves, but it does spread it. There are different types of powdery mildew, but some are more common then others to woody plants. It's best not to wet the leaves with water if your plants are infected as that spreads it.
https://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/diseases/powdery_mildew.pdf

You can use milk to treat it. Yup, milk.

Newt

1manda1

wow, thats' really intersting! I'm gonna try a milk potion tomorrow!! Should I remove teh infected leaves or keep them on? The hydrangea and rhodo would still have lots left the lilac would be pretty sparse.
Thanks so much for your help.

Amanda

Newt
Greener Thumb

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer that part. Do leave the leaves on. Enjoy your potion! :)

Newt

Return to “Lilacs Forum”