mansgirl

New Bloomerangs = Questions

Hi all! I just purchased 2 reblooming dwarf lilacs. They are very small yet, only about 6 inches tall. I haven't transplanted them yet, just placed the containers where I wanted to plant them to see if anything would start munching on them. I used to have hostas where I'd like to put my lilacs, and some sort of a bug ate them right down to nothing. So far nothing seems to be chowing on them to badly.

Do lilacs have major issues with bugs? Is there anything I can do to help them start? I know they are quite hardy, I'm not to worried about disease. But I am a little nervous about bugs. I was so excited to get these new bushes, I'd hate to kill them off right away. Any help would be appreciated!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No lilacs aren't susceptible to many bugs. What ate your hosta was most likely slugs not bugs any way and they won't bother the lilac. They are prone to powdery mildew, but on a well established shrub, that is mainly a cosmetic problem and doesn't really damage the tree, just makes the leaves not look as nice.

My huge old lilac gets powdery mildew every year, but not until mid to late summer after the blooms are long gone. I don't do anything about it. The next year it starts over with nice fresh leaves again. Some of the newer hybrids have more resistance to it bred into them. Mine is probably as old as my house, I.e. nearly 90.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

How much sun will the lilacs get in the hostas old location, mansgirl? I am concerned that it may not be enough to bloom properly since hostas prefer shade and lilacs do not. In Michigan, the more sun they get, the better.

mansgirl

Afternoon sun only. My yard is very shaded, and the spot I picked for the them is the sunniest place in my landscaping. It will hit them at about 1ish and last until about 7ish. Do you think that will be enough? They seem very happy sitting in that spot in their containers. They've already added new growth in only a little over a week. But they are VERY young. They were started from seed this spring.

Thanks for your help! I'm so nervous about these little guys. I've been so excited to start them and I just love lilacs, I really want them to turn out! : )

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

That is pretty close to the definition of full sun so you should be ok! Lilacs here get less sun because their leaves will otherwise scorch. As a result, mine are in part shade and do not produce as much blooms as I would like but I will take whatever bloomage I can!!!!!!!

mansgirl

Thank you! I feel pretty confident transplanting them now. The afternoon sun is slightly shaded for about an hour, due to the huge maples in the back yard, but for the most part I think it should be sunny enough. Last summer I was spraying my hostas to help cool them off during that little bit of mid after noon shade they had. Little did I know I was probably helping the slugs by keeping things moist. Then again, I don't know much about slugs either.

Thanks for helping this beginner out! : )

dorismccomb
Newly Registered

Good for you for planting the Bloomerang. I planted several Bloomerangs and they actually bloomed great in the first year!! It truly is a dwarf shrub. The fact that it re-blooms doesn't hurt either. The Dwarf Korean Lilac is also a re-bloomer, albeit not like the Bloomerang. I will say that the Korean is a very, very fragrant shrub, so if you are looking for scent in the garden...

[img]https://www.my-gardening-and-landscaping-makeover.com/images/koreanlilac.jpg[/img]

mansgirl

Hi Doris! Thanks for your response. I notice that you're in Winnipeg, which I believe gets quite a bit colder than here in Grand Rapids. I was wondering if you did anything for your plants during their first winter to help them along? Mine are planted in the landscaping along the house (about 2' away from the wall) in bark mulch. Well, they're planted under bark mulch.
Mine did not bloom this year, but they did put on a good solid 2" of growth, so they now stand about 8" tall. They've since dropped their leaves of course. How big were yours when you transplanted them into your yard? They look beautiful! I can't wait until mine are that big!

dorismccomb
Newly Registered

Hi

The Lilac posted in the image is the Dwarf Korean. My Bloomerang is quite a bit smaller. Yes, it does get quite a bit colder in the Canadian prairies, however so many shrubs are hardy to a minus 30F. This hardiness includes the Bloomerang. I did/do nothing special other than to water deeply prior to the freeze up and then make sure that the shrub is covered in snow for the entire winter.

With yours close to the house and planted under bark mulch, they should do just fine. I am surprised, however that they did not bloom for you. Mine were just twigs when I planted them.

Doris

mansgirl

Just wanted to update. The Bloomerangs overwintered great and look beautiful and much bigger this spring already. And I have blooms! Yay! lots of them! Thanks for your help Doris!

mansgirl

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00997.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00998.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC01000.jpg[/img]

Here is what my Bloomerangs are doing this summer. The look very leggy.. should I trim the long legs back, and if so, when?

chicagomo
Newly Registered

Hi Mansgirl,
My lilacs look exactly the same as yours, but I have about 5 long leggy stems coming from the plant. They have bloomed on the very ends of the long stems. I too do not know whether to trim them, but they don't look good. Have you found anything out? Or is there any advice anyone can offer?

mansgirl

I did look it up, but there wasn't much information of IF you should prune them. Only that if you do, its best to do so right after the spring blooming. I just did mine today, actually. A bit late, but it has to be better than nothing! If I find out any more I'll let you know.

chicagomo
Newly Registered

I have searched too. There is not much info out there. I think mine may not be getting enough sun. Proven Winners says "prune to shape", so I think I'm going to trim it down. We'll see what happens. Thanks!

Got this from the Proven winners website: "Maintenance Notes:
Requires well-drained soil and full sun. Remove spent blooms promptly to encourage reblooming. Prune to shape after blooming. Flower production may decline during extremely hot summers but will resume when temperatures cool in fall. Apply a controlled release fertilizer in the spring. This variety has good powdery mildew resistance."

mansgirl

Thank you for the Proven Winners reference. I'm pretty sure we're doing the right thing!
As you can see, mine are along a house, (on the western facing wall) so they don't get much sun until the afternoon.

We'll have to keep in touch through this thread and keep each other posted!

Return to “Lilacs Forum”