Mightydog001
Newly Registered

Potted Lilac problem

I am taking care of my daughter-in-laws lilac plant that is in a very large pot. It is about 4 yrs old and she has taken very good care of the plant. She just moved to TX from SC and left me with the plant and I live in FL. It has not put out any new growth and it is late April but it seems to be alive just dormant. Any advise?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Wow, Mightydog001, my lilac in Z7/8 already bloomed a month ago so I am surprised yours has not bloomed and leafed out yet. I would have expected yours to break dormancy after mine but not this late!

When you said that it was dormant, did you really mean to say it has not leafed out or bloomed yet? Let me ask you some more questions.

Is it growing in a pot that is too big for the tree?

Could it be root bound in the pot? When was the potting soil last replaced?

How many hours of sun does it get?

How often is it watered and how much water does it get when it is watered? It will not thrive if the soil is soggy and wet often (will get root rot).

How often and how much is it fertilized? What brand of fertilizer and amendments do you use?

Has it had any problems before? Problems that you are familiar with? Have you discussed this with your daughter in law (she used to have the tree before so she may know if this has happened before or not).

The shrub appears to be in stress so do not ferrtilize it for a while until someone can give you an idea of what the problem may be. These are tough trees but they prefer to be in well draining, colder regions. I am in the edge of Zones 7 and 8 and they have been difficult to grow here.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”