84pagirl

where can I get a deep purple lilac, what is it named?

inquiring on the name of a deep purple lilac bush

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a site with pictures of a number of deep purple lilac varieties

https://www.lilacgardens.com/purple.html

Here's a site that gives descriptions of different lilac varieties without pictures:

https://www.lilacking.com/lksales.htm

It suggests the Ludwig Spaeth (which is pictured in above website) as a good deep purple and the Congo. When I looked up the Congo, it looked like a pinker shade of purple.

Hope this helps!

84pagirl

:D THANKS I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

loratw619
Newly Registered

Pocahontas is a great dark purple lilac. Bloomed for me the first spring after planting while still very small. Just gorgeous!

I bought several of my bushes from Select Plus International, a lilac nursery in Canada. They have the best selection I've found and lots of info on the different varieties. Google them for the web address. Great nursery.

Lora

bevvycolombo
Newly Registered

I am also looking for the deepest purple lilac that is a very, dark grape color - the one I have seen in yards in Seattle, WA. I have a couple of shoots from my neighbor in Seattle, but I am not sure they are going to survive the transplanting. I have also looked at every website to find the name, but none of the pictures look like the ones in Seattle. I am wondering if the pictures of the dark purple ones do not really show the true color. I have been hoping that someone from Seattle will reply to this post with the name.

Any ideas for how to find an old variety from a specific location?

AbbyNY
Newly Registered

We planted Ludwig Spaeth last year. I'm in upstate NY. It did very well and has beautiful dark purple flowers.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”