Just Getting Started

Any Tips

I just recieved my 6 new Josee Lilacs that I ordered from Michigan Bulb Co. and I'm getting ready to put them in the ground. Are there any tips that I should do to ensure a good start up? I have excellent soil ready and a great area with Full Sun. Should I put any type of fertilizer on them right away or root starter? I also have 5 Butterfly bushes going in the same garden so if there is anything else I should do just give me the tips.

Thanks,

Just Getting Started

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Everyone has their way of doing this so here are some of the things I do. Dig the hole. Mix the soil with some compost and bone meal. Remove the shrub from the pot and water with liquid seaweed or liquid fish. Plant the shrub so it is about an inch higher than the surrounding soil. Add about 3" of mulch. If your soil is very clayish, consider a raised bed.

Here is a link to the planting instructions given by a nursery called Fox Hill Lilac Nursery: https://www.lilacs.com/care.html

Most new potted plants come with those round fertilizer pellets that plant nurseries utilize so I do not fertilize until the next year.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”