Michigan2Iowa

HELP! Buds and frost!

I hope someone sees this today!

I have FAT buds on my white lilac and it is supposed to get down to 28 tonight. Should I cover the bush? We did a strong trim the year before last so I expect some wonderful blooms this year and I don't want to lose them!

Thanks,
-Paul-

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, it doesn't go down to 27 F around here but, it has gone to about 30 or maybe a bit less. The buds on all the trees have been just fine. If you wanted to, you could cover the tree. I wouldn't get to excited though. I personally just let nature do it's thing. Plants are generally pretty resilient.

Michigan2Iowa

Thanks opa, my nerves are officially calmed... :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You're welcome Michigan, how'd your plant fair in the cold? Even if it was damaged a bit, I'm sure it will be fine.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That might be worth covering; frost damage can be an entry point for disease like bacterial lilac blight; a sheet or frost blanket goes a long way...

HG

Michigan2Iowa

Opa, It fared very well, thank you...BUT

This weekend they are calling for 22-25 degree overnights in my area. I am very concerned as I see 3X more flower buds on my white lilac than I have ever seen before. I will be out of town (in Michigan :) ) the entire weekend and I just can't help but be worried. The buds are now a full half inch in length. Should I be emotionally preparred to come back to Iowa on Monday and see some black buds?

Thanks... :?

-Paul-

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

If it is expected to get that low, and your buds are that far along, and you are going to spend all weekend worrying about it, then why not just cover the bush for the weekend, and then you should be safe. It won't hurt it to stay covered for a couple of days. And as Scott says, frost damage can open things up to a whole bunch of other problems like blight and other diseases. Better safe than sorry! I'd cover it, err on the side of caution!!! :wink:

Val

Michigan2Iowa

First, thanks to all for your assistance with my lilac. I covered it before I left on my trip, and the winds were just HORRENDOUS while I was gone. Most of the terminal buds were broken off (which held most of the flowers :( ). But, most of the interior buds were saved so I should still get a nice show! One of my neighbors lost 50% of her lilac buds to the hard freeze. Again, thanks to HG, Opa and Val for your advice.

-Paul-

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Sorry to hijack this post but I just wanted to say hi to Michigan2Iowa in Cedar Rapids from myself in Clinton. Hope your lilac bush is okay!

Return to “Lilacs Forum”