Ligustrum_Sinensis

Best lilac .. :)

hi ... I would like to know just one simple thing .. what do U think is the most beautiful Lilac ??? thx I would like to grow one and I can't decide ..... :) bye :roll:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Sinsensus! Lilacs (Syringa Vulgaris) are so beautiful, and their fragrance can't be beat. There are so many different types, it is hard to choose. I have several different lilac varieties, some are favourites, some are not, although they are all beautiful!
Here are my top best cause you'll never get me to be able to single out just one!
- President Grevy - double flower, lilac blue in color
- Sensation - single flower, wine-purple in color with white edging on
each flower
- Congo - single flower, reddish purple in color
- Miss Ellen Willmott - large double flowers, white in color
- Sarah Sands - single flowers, fuschia in color.

Hope this helps, I know it doesn't single it down to one, but it slims down the list a bit! Let us know which one you choose!
Feel free to come back with any questions or comments you may have. :wink:

Val

mosserian
Newly Registered

I lived in Boston for a long time and took numerous courses at the Arnold Arboretum. One particular lilac that I learned about was Syringa meyeri palibiana (sp). It grows beautifully in NE with no mildew and a lovely fragrance. The leaves are smaller and it also makes a beautiful hedge.

My husband was transferred down to Atlanta in 1993. One of the reasons I really didn't want to leave New England was because of the differences in gardening climates. I was told that the Miss Kim lilac did very well in the Atlanta area (zone 7). I tried the Miss Kim (as a foundation planting in front of my house). I also brought a few meyeri lilacs (from a summer visit to NH). Since that time, I also bought 2 meyeri standards from Wayside Gardens in SC that are thriving.

Long story short.. nothing beats the meyeri for me. (I hope I don't sound like I'm too high up on my soap box! :^)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Opinion is fine; I only have one lilac and it is 'Sensation'. Glad to see it on the list, Val...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Actually, Sensation was my first "special" lilac, aside from the usual old fashioned ones that everyone has. I got Sensation in 1994, and have given many slips from her to others who have liked it! :wink:

Val

Return to “Lilacs Forum”