mc_ottawa
Newly Registered

Lilac getting destroyed by bugs

Hi all,
Newbie gardener here.

A Syringa reticulata ‘Ivory Silk’ Japanese Tree Lilac was planted in my backyard (at the end of June).
It is a pretty young tree, and is about 5 feet in height - direct from a nursery.

Since it's been planted, I've noticed that the leaves always get chewed through by bugs. I've noticed a lot of small black bugs on it, so I'm guessing they're chewing through the leaves.

The tree itself looks pretty healthy, and new shoots/leaves are growing - although as soon as new leaves come out, they're almost immediately chewed through. There are no plants around the tree, just an open field. (by the way, I live in southern Canada with a climate similar to northern New York state)

Please help - and let me know if there's anything else I can explain.
Thanks

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I would try to capture some of the bugs when they are munching on the leaves and then take one or two in a transplarent sealed plastic envelope to a local nursery or to an Agriculture Extension Service Office for identification. This will allow you to apply the correct insecticide or release beneficial insects that will keep this pest under control.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Try posting an image here mc, and we'll take a crack at it...

HG

mc_ottawa
Newly Registered

Hi guys,

Please see attached for pictures. They aren't the best pictures since it was taken from a blackberry.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/40527979@N03/?saved=1[/url]

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

mc_ottawa, the 2nd picture was not clear and I am not sure what you were trying to point on that one. The leaf on the 3rd picture looks like some of my leaves do near the end of the growing season. I get some wind damage but mostly the look here is caused by pests of all types that only nibble a little throughout the months causing a look reminiscent of the one in your 3rd picture. Not much of a problem for me so I just let it be. Identification is crucial so you can apply an insecticide that will affect them.

Check during the day and night and see if you catch the culprit. Place it in a sealed transparent plastic envelope and then take it to a local nursery or an extension service office for identification. You can also post pictures.

It is Japanese Beetles Season now in some areas so I do not know if this is the pest affecting you. If that is the pest, you can apply Bayer Rose and Flower Insect Killer to the beetles; do not spray if there are none present as it works best by contact. You can also use Bayer Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed in the Spring and it will protect thru the growing season. By the way, I would recommend putting stakes if this is a windy location.

mc_ottawa
Newly Registered

Thanks. It is generally not windy there but the weather has been brutal this past week. In the second pic, I was trying to show a few bjack spots I noticed on the new branches. Either way it is surprising to see all the leaves getting chewed through like that. As for the stakes, even though it isn't windy there most of the time, great suggestion

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That does not look like insect damage, so let's not get happy with the neonicotinoid pesticides yet, as they are the most likely culprit in the Colony Collapse Disorder; imidicloprid has quickly become the most used pesticide despite these warnings and the fact that it is highly residual in the environment, half a decade or so in many plants...

If you could get insect images it would help, but have you had hail? Looks more like that...

HG

mc_ottawa
Newly Registered

Hi Scott, and all

I have not ben successful in finding bugs, as the weather hasn't been all too great of late, so it's been tough to find a long enough sunny period to capture any of these bugs.

However, I did e-mail the city, which provided the tree, and they mentioned that some of the Japanese Lilacs in their nursery had been having problems (would have been nice to know before planting it), and they're still trying to identify the root cause.

The city's solution thus far is to try an insecticide soap, and see if that helps...

Will keep everyone posted/continue to search for bugs.

Thanks all!

Return to “Lilacs Forum”