dbetsing
Newly Registered

Dead/very sick Korean Lilac Tree

Hi,

I have a Korean lilac tree that was planted on the south side of my Mpls, Mn. home about 9 years ago. Unfortunately this year its leaves have not returned after the winter. The only thing that gives me any hope that it isn't already dead is that it appears to have buds and most branches are not brittle (ie. seem like they are still getting moisture), but obviously not having leaves does not bode well for its future. I have looked around the base of the tree to see if there was any bark damage, but have not noticed anything that seems wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could check for or what the problem could be? Is all hope lost? (I hate to see it go as its my favorite tree in the yard). Any possibility it is just very late getting out of its dormant state?

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks

Doug

4cookies
Newly Registered

I know you posted this a year ago, but I am having the same problem with my Korean lilac. Did you ever figure out what it was that caused the problem? It is always so big and beautiful every year, but it looks dead this year. Some branches have green on the inside and a few little buds that just didn't bloom. We did some sprinkler work, and I'm wondering if that affected the tree. Any help/advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Angie

dbetsing
Newly Registered

4cookies wrote:I know you posted this a year ago, but I am having the same problem with my Korean lilac. Did you ever figure out what it was that caused the problem? It is always so big and beautiful every year, but it looks dead this year. Some branches have green on the inside and a few little buds that just didn't bloom. We did some sprinkler work, and I'm wondering if that affected the tree. Any help/advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Angie
Unfortunately I received no answers and figured nothing out. I went the whole summer with no leaves and mourning. In the fall, my wife bought me a new one to replace it. I hope you have more luck finding answers than I did.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I would try to review the basics of planting lilacs (e.g., well draining soil, about 5 hours of sun + or -, no mineral deficiencies in the soil, planted slightly above the surrounding soil, some fertilizer, mulch, etc), check the roots to make sure they are not circling (also called being root bound), do a soil test and then check the plant for pests, such as the lilac borer. You can also contact your Agriculture Extension Service and see if they could help diagnose problems with a cutting.

Return to “Lilacs Forum”