thrr3ee

white lilac question

I moved to this house a little over a year ago and we discovered some white lilacs growing in the back. They bloomed beautifully though small and I was wondering why don't they smell like the purple ones I'm used to do? Is it something that just wasn't bred into this variety? Do other white lilacs smell?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It seems to depend on the variety:

Some lilacs are more fragrant than others. For example, many white lilacs are only faintly scented. https://www.finegardening.com/plants/articles/lilacs-time-for-fresh-look.aspx

Nature Hill advertises these: Lilac - Avalanche, 'Syringa vulgaris 'Avalanche', is showy and freely produces panicles of large, single white fragrant florets on a rounded to upright plant of 9 feet.

Hulda Klager Lilac gardens advertises Madame Lemoine Snow white, double blossoms. Very fragrant.

So there can be fragrant whites, but apparently some aren't. Too bad, it's certainly part of the joy of lilacs...

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ive actually collected a bunch of seeds last year from some wild white lilac trees that had bloomed in town and they are especially fragrant and beautiful...I'm starting trees from seed with them this year and so far got one to grow, I'm trying again on reseeding but they are Very fragrant ones, so it could just be yours is slightly different is all :)

Return to “Lilacs Forum”