kasimac

New Lilac shoots.

I was wondering what time of the year I should dig up the shoots of a lilac to transplant them.

Also, I have found a really large yellow lilac on a really old piece of property, and was wondering if lilacs are able to grow roots from twig cuttings. Then if so, what type of soil would be best to get the cuttings to grow roots? I was thinking wet sand, but would wet soil work just as well?

kasimac

Ok, I found out that lilacs can sprout roots from twig cuttings, both old and new, but with new growth you will have a high chance of getting roots.

Also found out that either soil type will work.

Though I also have another question.. If I wanted to take twig cuttings from the lilac while it's in its dormant winter state, will it still have the ability to sprout roots if root hormone is applied? or does there need to be a few leaves on the plant first.

Thanks!

kasimac

Anyone know?

thebean

lilac cuttings are best taken just after flowering. take cuttings about 6-10 inchs, use rooting hormone, place in a seed tray or small pot, water throughly cover with a plastic bag and in about seven weeks you should have enough roots to plant in perment location. seven weeks is an average for cuttings, may be shorter or longer but would be a reasonable time to check it out.

kasimac

Thank you for your help : )

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Kasimac is talking about root sets, not tip cuttings...

Now is good, pot them up and give a bit more shade; establish them and plant in the fall...

HG

Return to “Lilacs Forum”