sandman900ss

Unusual vine id zone 5

I've been enjoying this amazing vine that takes over this roadside mailbox on my bike rides. Tons of trumpet shaped pale pink flowers on the way. This leafed out in one week! Will take pics of flowers when they're ready, but what is it? Northern IL area.
Attachments
IMG_3497.JPG

sandman900ss

leaves as of end of May:
Attachments
IMG_3499.JPG

applestar
Mod

Pretty big trumpets, right? I’m pretty sure this is trumpet vine but common species has orange-red flowers. Another more common type has dark yellow flowers. They get much bigger than that mailbox so you’ll need to make other arrangements — they swallow fences — but hummingbirds Do love the flowers.

If it really has pale pink blossoms, it might be a cultivated variety and possibly grow with better control?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yep, looks like trumpet vine.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Trumpet vine is extremely invasive and can take over the entire landscape. Like applestar says, maybe it is one of the newer varieties that the invasiveness was attempted to be bred out. Even the new ones are spreaders. Very nice looking but thugs in the garden. We had to move to be rid of a trumpet vine I planted to climb up a porch post. (Well, we did move but not for that reason; driving past the old place fifteen years later it was still all over the yard.)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Trumpet Vine grows wild around here to, but the orange-coloed blossom kind. Wild Vines are difficult to control.

sandman900ss

I appreciate the replies, and after looking at some Google images I'm pretty sure you've all got it. This is how it looked a week ago- I thought it hadn't survived the winter. It really does take over the whole stand in season.
Attachments
IMG_3455.JPG

Return to “Plant Identification”