aaardvark

What is this growing next to my chili?

Many times when I buy chili starts there is another plant growing right next to the chili. Usually, it dies shortly after replanting my start. This year, it is still growing. Last year it was with my Thai chilies, this year with pimentos.

I can provide a picture if necessary.

But I am hoping before going through the trouble someone will know what this is. I'm guessing an expert here with know, since it seems to be really common.

I find it odd that most chili starts I have purchased have had a second plant growing next to it.

Any idea?

aaardvark

Ok, I removed it from my chili plant because I don't want it stealing nutrients when I don't know what it is.

To reiterate:
1) This was growing with the pimento plant
2) This happens with most chili starts I have ever purchased

What in the world is it?

aaardvark

It was growing in the same pot as my store purchased chili start. Almost every year this is growing next to whatever chili variety I buy. This year it didn't die and got almost the size as the chili plant. So, I removed it to let it grow on its own to see what it is.

Any idea?

aaardvark

Hi,
posted this in a couple different places looking for a response. Why is there often a second plant in chili starts I buy from the store? Plants like this are always in my starts. Usually they die, this year it kept growing so I removed it to grow it on its own to see what happens.

What do you think it is?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Nurseries plant more than one seed in a pot to ensure at least one germinates. Sometimes extra seedlings are missed when someone culls out the weaker of the seedlings. Also, sometimes the extra seedlings may wait and germinate later on and it was just missed. Or it could be a weed.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Looks kinda like an oleander.

applestar
Mod

In the future, create and post ONLY one thread — not all over the place. You’ll end up getting multiple answers that will be difficult to keep track of and will not be helpful for others to reference. I’ve consolidated them all here and will delete duplicate posts later.

I think it looks like a polygonum of some sort, it could be a weed, but I did find a culinary look alike — Vietnamese coriander/cilantro. Does it have an aroma? I don’t have experience with this herb. maybe @imafan does? Or possibly @pepperhead?

This place had a photo that looked similar to your plant.
:arrow: https://www.morningsunherbfarm.com/prod ... coriander/

aaardvark

Thanks for the replies. No, it has no smell at all.

aaardvark

Update.
It is now beginning to flower. WHAT IS THIS PLANT?
Do the little white flowers give any clues to the experts on here?
And for those of you just reading the thread, these plants often appear in the same pot as chili plants I buy from the store in the western United States.

applestar
Mod

So, like I said before, my impression so far is that it’s a polygonum of some sort. Since you said there’s no aroma/fragrance (presumably just “green” smell) it’s likely to be a smartweed or knotweed.

Here are a couple of links that have pretty good ID indicators — let us know what you think :D

Increasing Your Knowledge About Smartweeds (Polygonaceae Family)

https://bulletin.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/articles/200106k.html

Smartweed: Nature’s Pepper and Pharmacy - Eat The Weeds and other things, too

https://www.eattheweeds.com/smartweed-n ... -pharmacy/

Return to “Plant Identification”